DNSMASQ_WARN Ignoring query from non-local network

I saw this warning for the first time today as well. It happened right after I updated my pihole installation via "pihole -up". I understand that this is a safety feature. However I can't find any query in the logs that might have triggered the warning (the logs show no queries received at the time of the warning) and it should not be possible in my network for non-local queries to occur. My pihole is (or at least should be) behind my firewall, inaccessible to the outside world. If there are in fact queries from non-local devices, how do I see them in order to understand how they happened in order to take proper measures?

Or is false positive warning indicating this a bug in the warning system?

Debug token:
https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/jlEyWSc1/

Thanks!

The warning is only printed once and does not contain any information. This to avoid filling the log quickly, possibly leading to a DoS when indeed a lot of foreign traffic is arriving on an insufficiently firewalled Pi-hole.

Please try

pihole checkout ftl new/non_local_details

On the next warning of this type, you should also see the IP address triggering this warning. The warning is still printed only once (not once per address but once overall).

4 posts were split to a new topic: Another dnsmasq warning

I have this same message first time today.
debug token is: https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/pOr90LzU/

Per above, I attempted to try: pihole checkout new/non_local_details
but received: [i] Requested option "new/non_local_details" is not available

Noob here, so not sure what to do next.
Should I delete this warning in: pihole -admin - Pi-hole diagnosis screen?

Sorry for that, a word was missing in the command. I updated the previous reply. The correct command is

pihole checkout ftl new/non_local_details
1 Like

Ok, that's installed and I see what's going on. What is the incantation to revert to the main branch? Thanks!

It might be worth merging new/non_local_details to main. If the only thing it does is add the ip to the warning message, that seems like a good thing!

pihole checkout ftl master

Do you want to tell us (even if only abstract)? I will submit this change upstream to the dnsmasq project and additional real life experience may help getting the change accepted more easily.

When I set up an IoT device on a different subnet, it inherited my phone's DNS setting. So the device was trying to use the pihole but it was 2 hops away, triggering the alert.

I still think having the IP address printed by default is a good idea -- if I had been I would seen immediately what was causing the warning and wouldn't have had to bother you here. :wink:

A post was split to a new topic: WiFi devices are not using Pi-hole

4 posts were split to a new topic: Ignoring query from non-local network

A post was merged into an existing topic: WiFi devices are reporting "NO INTERNET CONNECTION" and can't access Internet after latest PIHOLE update

A post was split to a new topic: Ignoring query from non-local network

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.