DNSMasq + Pihole?

I run an Asus AC-86U router with Asuswrt-Merlin Firmware. On it I run a few DNSMasq scripts to force SafeSearch network wide and it works well.

I notice If I connect to Pihole's DNS, I lose the SafeSearch Feature.
Is this what is supposed to happen or I should be able to use Pihole' DNS while taking benefit of the router's DNSMasq scripts?

You can use the same dnsmasq configuration with Pi-hole. We run dnsmasq embedded in FTL.

You are not using your router as DNS, so the router DNSMasq is not used. You need to try your scripts with Pi-hole.

1 Like

I use:
address=/www.bing.com/204.79.197.220
address=/duckduckgo.com/52.149.247.1
address=/www.google.com/216.239.38.120

Where do I add that in Pihole?

You can add custom names and addresses in Local DNS > DNS Records. Eg you can add www.bing.com for the domain and 204.79.197.220 for the IP address and click Add.

1 Like

Perfect! - just what I was looking for, thank you!

Sorry, I am back. I noticed the IP for safe.duckduckgo.com apparently changed.
When I do an nslookup for safe.duckduckgo.com comes back as 52.149.247.1, but if I ping it, I get no results back.

So SafeSearch for duckduckgo is not working, only Google, and Bing.
I see there's an option for CNAME Records in Pihole, but I am not sure how to use it.

I have tried:
Domain: duckduckgo.com
Target Domain: safe.duckduckgo.com

Is this correct?
If not, how do I create a CNAME record for safe.duckduckgo.com?

EDIT:
I will create a new thread since this new question is regarding CNAMES. Sorry about that.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.