DNS service not running FTL offline

Expected Behaviour:
FTL/DNS staying online

Actual Behaviour:
Every couple of days the DNS/FTL will go offline seemingly at random. It doesn't happen every day.

Debug Token:
h8we9j1uo0

Hello,

I have pi-hole installed on my QNAP running in Container Station on Ubuntu 16.04. It seems that every couple of days FTL will go offline. I can restart the the DNS resolver and it will usually come back online, but sometimes I have to restart the system to get it back up.

The only modifications I've made is I changed the nameserver in resolv.conf to be 127.0.0.1. It was 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 previously. I made this change so that I could get the host names to show up properly on the dashboard.

I've tried searching the forum and I've found some other posts with similar issues, but nothing with it randomly going down. I've attached some information from other recommendations. I hope this information is helpful.

Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State       PID/Program name
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:53              0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      239/pihole-FTL
tcp6       0      0 :::53                   :::*                    LISTEN      239/pihole-FTL
udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:53              0.0.0.0:*                           239/pihole-FTL
udp6       0      0 :::53                   :::*                                239/pihole-FTL
ubuntu@pi-hole:~$ sudo lsof -i :53
COMMAND   PID   USER   FD   TYPE    DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
pihole-FT 239 pihole    6u  IPv4 112600341      0t0  UDP *:domain
pihole-FT 239 pihole    7u  IPv4 112600342      0t0  TCP *:domain (LISTEN)
pihole-FT 239 pihole    8u  IPv6 112600343      0t0  UDP *:domain
pihole-FT 239 pihole    9u  IPv6 112600344      0t0  TCP *:domain (LISTEN)

Thank you for any help.

Are there any errors shown in the following logs?

/var/log/pihole.log

/var/log/pihole-FTL.log

/var/log/syslog

I'm did see any errors in pihole.log. The only thing I saw that resembled an error or possible issue in pihole-FTL is below. Also, when looking at pihole.log and pihole-FTL.log that there is only data from the last time the system was restarted. I'm not sure if that is normal. FTL went down again last night after I posted this topic which I then had to restart the system, so that's the latest I have of the logs.

[2019-08-07 04:56:34.639 8583] SQLite3 message: database is locked in "SELECT VALUE FROM ftl WHERE id = 0;" (5)
[2019-08-07 04:56:34.639 8583] db_query_int(SELECT VALUE FROM ftl WHERE id = 0;) - SQL error prepare (5): database is locked
[2019-08-07 04:56:34.639 8583] Database version is -2
[2019-08-07 04:56:34.639 8583] Database version incorrect, database not available

When I tried to view syslog it's empty which is very strange. I'm not sure if there is an issue with permissions. I'm not Linux savvy in the slightest so I could very well being doing something wrong.

Make a debug token when it is not working. You may have to manually upload the debug log to a pastebin site.

Is this running on Docker using the Pi-hole Docker container?

OK. I will do that.

It is running in Container Station on my QNAP through an LXC image of Ubuntu 16.04 and is not a docker image.

Have you tried using the official Pi-hole docker image?

I have not, but from doing a little reading it seems that you can't update a docker image so if there is a new version of pihole released I will have to create a new docker image with the update? I'm not sure if this is entirely accurate since I'm not well versed with docker images.

From guides that I've found they mostly recommended the setup I have with using LXC of Ubuntu 16.04.

So far the DNS has not crashed again, but it could very well be something happening on my network that I haven't triggered again.

There is a special method for updating docker containers, see here: GitHub - pi-hole/docker-pi-hole: Pi-hole in a docker container

Cool! Thank you for this.

So far my pihole has not gone down since I posted this topic. I'm not sure what I was doing in the past for the FTL to go offline.

Hello,

FTL went offline today for the first time in about a week. I ran the debug from the GUI and posted the output to pastebin.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.