"DNS server ip address and lan ip address cannot be in the same subnet"

Expected Behaviour:

Ideally I should be able to set my router to use my Pi as my DNS server

Actual Behaviour:

I get an error message when trying to set my DNS "DNS server ip address and lan ip address cannot be in the same subnet"

Debug Token:

orcq75wo7v

You're probably running into DNS Rebind Protection. Check your router for this setting and disable it.

I searched through every possible section but could find no DNS Rebind Protection option to disable. I switched from my router's DHCP server to Pi Hole's DHCP server, it also handles the DNS right? I switched and now I am actually seeing clients connect to Pi Hole and am seeing queries logged, but nothing is actually being blocked. Am I making progress or only confusing myself more?

Alright I managed to get it working.

My solution to get around not being able to disable DNS Rebind Protection was to use Pi Hole's DHCP server instead of my router's so it would handle DNS instead. After doing this initially I was getting a lot of queries but nothing was being blocked, that was easily fixed by going into the Pi Hole admin panel settings and updating and saving all the blocklists... I assumed they would already be updated and working fine but I guess that's what I get for assuming.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.