DNS resolving but Pi-hole not doing it

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Expected Behaviour:

Pi hole should block ad domains based on the blacklists

Actual Behaviour:

Ads are not blocked, all sites resolve dns.

Debug Token:

rxejj7muve

Looking around the forum I think this might be an issue with my DNSmasque but that gets a checkmark on the debugging from the pi-hole, so now I don’t know what to think

I know my router is using the pi hole as the dns resolver, and every system that I run an ipconfig or an isconfig on shows that the correct ip address is the dns for that device, and I have the blacklists installed as i have 132,000 domains there, but there are no queries to the pi-hole itself, they all seem to be resolving somehow.

note that I am running this on an ubuntu server.

I have searched and searched but none of the solutions I have found have seemed to solve this issue.

On the Pi-hole device can you run the following commands:

sudo systemctl status --full --no-pager dnsmasq.service
cat /etc/resolv.conf

The debug log shows that dnsmasq is not running on the Pi-hole device, but there is a resolver running. dig queries to 127.0.0.1 fail but queries to 192.168.0.2 return an answer.

dnsmasq could not start because there is another DNS resolver in operation. What is the output from sudo ss tlpn | grep 53?

Error: an inet prefix is expected rather than “tlpn”
Cannot parse dst/src address

Sorry, I left off the -, try sudo ss -tlpnax | grep 53 instead.

I think this is all of it:

That shows that systemd-resolved and named have control over port 53 on your system. @RamSet What was the process of clearing out systemd-resolved from having control?

Would this work, do you think?

sudo systemctl disable systemd-resolved.service
sudo service systemd-resolved stop

Found it :slightly_smiling_face:

edit /etc/systemd/resolved.conf and add this line:

DNSStubListener=no
This will switch off binding to port 53.

Restarted the system and all is good!

Thanks very much for your help @DanSchaper

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.