DNS and DHCP aren't working; Android devices seem to also be not able to access internet

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

If you are Experiencing issues with a Pi-hole install that has non-standard elements (e.g you are using nginx instead of lighttpd, or there is some other aspect of your install that is customised) - please use the Community Help category.

Expected Behaviour:

[Pihole is able to provision leases to devices; pihole is able to access interent/DNS works; devices can get IP address and can also access the internet]

Actual Behaviour:

_[As of this morning (4/27/2023), none of my devices had access to the internet. Initially, it was because of a rate limit issue.

I bumped up the limit by 10X (to 1500 every 120 sec) and that allowed almost all other devices to access the internet. However, Android devices continued to not be able to access the internet.

It also seems that on the pi4, I can't use curl. If I tunnel into the docker container running pihole, I also can't use curl/nslookup/ping/etc. ]_

Debug Token:

[https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/lfvvs8hV/]

For additional context, I used the following posts to help me troubleshoot but with no luck:

Editing /etc/resolv.conf on the pi4/docker-compose.yaml to use "search home"

Hard-coding the DNS value in docker-compose.yaml

And finally, as far as DNS goes, [setting it to Cloudflare's (CF) DNS](For additional context, I used the following posts to help me troubleshoot but with no luck: Editing /etc/resolv.conf on the pi4/docker-compose.yaml to use "search home" Hard-coding the DNS value in docker-compose.yaml)

The best outcome I was able to get with the above is that I was able to generate a debug token only after I set the DNS to CF's. But I still had to manually set my computer to 1.1.1.1 for even ethernet to work.

I'm desperate since I work remotely, so any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

It seemed that it was an issue with resolve.conf/ubunto 22.4.

Tl;dr ensuring that whatever ubuntu uses for DNS (in my case, systemd-resolved) points to a symlinked /etc/resolve.conf file and that fixed everything.

For additional context, here's what that file looked like for me:

/run/systemd/resolve/resolv.conf 
# This is /run/systemd/resolve/resolv.conf managed by man:systemd-resolved(8).
# Do not edit.
#
# This file might be symlinked as /etc/resolv.conf. If you're looking at
# /etc/resolv.conf and seeing this text, you have followed the symlink.
#
# This is a dynamic resolv.conf file for connecting local clients directly to
# all known uplink DNS servers. This file lists all configured search domains.
#
# Third party programs should typically not access this file directly, but only
# through the symlink at /etc/resolv.conf. To manage man:resolv.conf(5) in a
# different way, replace this symlink by a static file or a different symlink.
#
# See man:systemd-resolved.service(8) for details about the supported modes of
# operation for /etc/resolv.conf.

nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver 1.1.1.1
nameserver 1.0.0.1
# Too many DNS servers configured, the following entries may be ignored.
nameserver 8.8.8.8
search .

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.