DHCP Server Issues

I have a Nighthawk r7000 router. I set the DNS to solely be the Pi. This setup works. However my issue is, in my pihole admin portal, it's showing all of my traffic coming from the router ip (192.168.1.1) and I want to set up a DHCP server instead, so that way I can see the devices on my network in pihole, rather than seeing all my traffic come from my router.

I turned off the DHCP server in my router settings, and to get it to allow that, I set my DNS settings back to the default (ISP provided DNS). Once my DHCP server was off on my router, and enabled in Pihole (IP ranges are identical to router defualt, and Router gateway is the Router ip(192.168.1.1))

But I get the error DNSMASQ_CONFIG FTL failed to start due to process is missing required capability NET_ADMIN

I have no idea how to fix this. In order to get pihole to work in the first place (port 53 already in use error) i ran the command /etc/init.d/dnsmasq stop and that was able to get pihole to start in the first place.

In docker, Network was set to host (default is bridge), and Ill go ahead and post a link to a pastebin of my dockercompose.yml incase there is issues there.

Please consider to alter your post to contain your docker-compose directly. That will make it easier for others to understand my references to it, and it would prevent that information to be lost completely if your external link target expires, get's deleted or changed.

Your docker-compose configuration shows you are not running your container in host mode, as the respective option is commented out.

Also note that Docker's port mapping is not in effect in host mode, as the conatiner directly shares the ports of its host then.
Accordingly, for your choice of port 8089, you may have to consider Pi-hole's WEB_PORT environment variable instead to address potential conflicts over port 80 on your host machine.

The following section from our Docker documentation may apply:

In 2022.01 and later, the default DNSMASQ_USER has been changed to pihole , however this may cause issues on some systems such as Synology, see Issue #963 for more information.

If the container wont start due to issues setting capabilities, set DNSMASQ_USER to root in your environment.

1 Like