DHCP assigned Macbook bypassing Pi-hole

Hello! Can you please explain how DHCP tells clients which dns to use?
I set up Pi-hole's built in DHCP server and everything works correctly on my iphone, but on macbook requests bypass pi-hole(pi.hole -- This site can’t be reached). If I specify pi-hole's dns in the settings on a macbook, it works correctly.

Can you please explain how DHCP tells clients which dns to use?

This information is sent when the device receives an IP from DHCP.

The simplified explanation is:

DHCP works by leasing IP addresses and IP information to network clients for a period of time (this is called "lease time").

DHCP tells clients which DNS servers are available, but never forces the clients to use them.
Each client Operating System decides if they will use or not use the advertised DNS servers.

Also, when you change the DNS information on the router, clients are not aware until they ask to renew the lease.

When the router renews the lease, the new DNS information will be received by the client and the client will decide which DNS should be used.

When you manually change the DNS servers, the device will ignore the previous DNS information and use what you set.

Probably your macbook needs to renew the lease, after the router (or Pi-hole DHCP) settings change.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.