Dependencies to sudo?

Hello,

just a short question ... which Pihole functions are affected when "sudo" is uninstalled?

BR, Martin

sudo is a Pi-hole dependency. It won't even install if that is missing or non-functional.

You might want to look through the installer script and see where sudo is used as a dependency, etc.

13 posts were split to a new topic: Raspbian default user security

You could run everything as the root user but that's a very, very bad idea.

Hello Dan

Thank you for your replay. : +1: (... and also to all other helpers)

Ok, only for the installer or also at runtime? If it also need at runtime, which functions will not work, if sudo is uninstalled?

That's not right, it was installed by the installer... possibly as a dependency on something else... see for yourself:

# cat /var/log/apt/history.log | egrep "18:19" -A 1
    Start-Date: 2019-09-14  18:19:03
    Commandline: apt-get -o APT::Status-Fd=4 -o APT::Keep-Fds::=5 -o APT::Keep-Fds::=6 --yes --no-install-recommends install dialog dhcpcd5 git

Start-Date: 2019-09-14  18:19:55
    Commandline: apt-get -o APT::Status-Fd=4 -o APT::Keep-Fds::=5 -o APT::Keep-Fds::=6 --yes --no-install-recommends install curl dnsutils netcat psmisc sudo idn2 sqlite3 dns-root-data resolvconf lighttpd php-common php-cgi php-sqlite3

Before running the installer, neither sudo nor dhcpcd5 were installed. Ok, pihole is working as intended, with restricted permissions by the user pihole, all is ok:

# ps -aux | grep pihole
    pihole  464  0.0  0.4  21016  8488 /lib/systemd/systemd --user
    pihole  465  0.0  0.1  22984  2196 (sd-pam)
    pihole  480  0.1  1.1 417640 23284 /usr/bin/pihole-FTL

But the 2 Packages sudo and dhcpcd5 are unwanted. dhcpcd5 is bloatware and not needed in a static IPv4-Net, and its also not needed in an IPv6-Net, because IPv6-Addresses are generated stateless by Kernel. I uninstalled it immediately. And sudo is ...in all short... a exploit.

This is an exploit and absolutely a Nogo:

# cat /etc/sudoers.d/pihole
    www-data ALL=NOPASSWD: /usr/local/bin/pihole

The key question remains: If pihole is ready installed, which function are not working, if sudo is uninstalled.

BR, Martin

Honestly I don't know the answer to your question. I've never run any operating system without sudo. If you consider sudo to be an exploit or the pihole command to be nogo then you probably don't want to run Pi-hole.

1 Like

I think the best path is to uninstall sudo and see.

Hello Dan

I'm not saying that Pihole is a Nogo, why do you think so? Pihole is working fine. That's not what it's all about. The problem is a matter of principle and conceptual.

A program that can procure itself root privileges at runtime, so that change (or be able to change) the installation basis of the computer outside the control of an admins, is an absolute NoGo. That would be a repeat of all the design flaws that have long time been known in Windows and that cause there such big problems with malware. It also contradicts the principles of Linux, that a program must be executed, without acquiring unauthorized root privileges at runtime.How should an administrator guarantee the integrity of a system, if he don't have control about running processes ? So it's not about Pihole and that Pihole has bad intentions, but about that Pihole privileges can be abused.

I never run a Client-User-System with sudo, because every sudo-Statement leaves the system unclosed about 10 or 15 minutes.

Yes, I will try it. Is there any advice where I have to take a closer look? Special logs? Or specific behavior? Do I have to update lists manually? Or is it enough to watch that obvious in the Web-Gui?

Pi-hole needs to bind to port 53 at the very minimum. How you can do that without root priv's would be an interesting experiment.

Pi-Hole maintains it's logs in /var/log.

List updates and other admin functions are done via cron scripts installed by Pi-Hole. Here is an example of the scripts that are installed:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1703 Sep 15 18:12 /etc/cron.d/pihole
   9 3   * * 7   root    PATH="$PATH:/usr/local/bin/" pihole updateGravity >/var/log/pihole_updateGravity.log || cat /var/log/pihole_updateGravity.log
   00 00   * * *   root    PATH="$PATH:/usr/local/bin/" pihole flush once quiet
   @reboot root /usr/sbin/logrotate /etc/pihole/logrotate
   */10 *  * * *   root    PATH="$PATH:/usr/local/bin/" pihole updatechecker local
   20 14  * * *   root    PATH="$PATH:/usr/local/bin/" pihole updatechecker remote
   @reboot root    PATH="$PATH:/usr/local/bin/" pihole updatechecker remote reboot

Hi Dan

# ss -tulpn | grep 53
udp     UNCONN   0        0                0.0.0.0:53             0.0.0.0:*      users:(("pihole-FTL",pid=473,fd=4)) uid:998 ino:13177 sk:1 <->                 
udp     UNCONN   0        0                   [::]:53                [::]:*      users:(("pihole-FTL",pid=473,fd=6)) uid:998 ino:13179 sk:2 v6only:1 <->        
tcp     LISTEN   0        32               0.0.0.0:53             0.0.0.0:*      users:(("pihole-FTL",pid=473,fd=5)) uid:998 ino:13178 sk:6 <->                 
tcp     LISTEN   0        32                  [::]:53                [::]:*      users:(("pihole-FTL",pid=473,fd=7)) uid:998 ino:13180 sk:a v6only:1 <->

Pihole was installed in a libvirt-KVM only as a DNS-Filter and it was installed by root. If you can see above (some posts before), the user-context is switched to user "pihole". It seems all to be ok. Pihole is working really successful.

So it is not without root-Permissions. The difference is, I do all what I have to do, with root-Permissions as user root. And I do that only in a root-shell, and never as a normal user, who allways is unprivileged. And I never start a GUI-App with sudo, because the whole X-System with all running programms can acquiring unauthorized root-Permissions.

OK, sudo is now successfully uninstalled:
The counter for requests and blocking increases as before. The missing sudo (and dhcpd) does not seem to cause any problems. Neither the journal nor the pihole logs contain clues about problems. Not even after a reboot of the system. It seems to be all ok. hmmmm

Maybe someone else has an idea what to look for?

Thank you, thats important. I think, that means I just have to see if the lists in / etc / pihole are updated ... which should actually fail because the lists belong to root: root. Probably that would be a case for "sudo". But I can solve it in an alternate way.

And these:

pi@noads:~ $ apt rdepends sudo
sudo
Reverse Depends:
  Depends: fpart (>= 1.8.12)
  Depends: picap
    sudo-ldap
  Depends: ucspi-tcp-src
    sudo-ldap
  Depends: qmail-src
    sudo-ldap
 |Recommends: winetricks
    sudo-ldap
  Depends: publicfile-installer
    sudo-ldap
  Depends: matlab-support
    sudo-ldap
  Suggests: zabbix-server-pgsql
    sudo-ldap
  Suggests: zabbix-server-mysql
    sudo-ldap
  Depends: xnetcardconfig
    sudo-ldap
  Suggests: xfce4-session
    sudo-ldap
  Depends: xdeb
    sudo-ldap
  Recommends: xara-gtk
    sudo-ldap
  Recommends: wicd-curses
    sudo-ldap
  Recommends: wicd-cli
    sudo-ldap
  Suggests: whalebuilder
    sudo-ldap
  Suggests: wajig
    sudo-ldap
  Depends: waagent
    sudo-ldap
  Depends: vagrant-lxc
    sudo-ldap
  Depends: v4l2loopback-utils
    sudo-ldap
  Depends: ubuntu-dev-tools
    sudo-ldap
  Replaces: sudo-ldap
    sudo-ldap
  Conflicts: sudo-ldap
  Recommends: sshuttle
    sudo-ldap
  Recommends: smb4k
    sudo-ldap
  Depends: sidedoor-sudo
    sudo-ldap
  Depends: secvpn
    sudo-ldap
  Depends: sbackup
    sudo-ldap
  Recommends: ranger
    sudo-ldap
  Suggests: qemu-user-static
    sudo-ldap
  Suggests: qemu-user
    sudo-ldap
  Recommends: q4wine
    sudo-ldap
  Depends: python3-oslo.rootwrap
    sudo-ldap
  Depends: python-oslo.rootwrap
    sudo-ldap
  Depends: python-nova
    sudo-ldap
  Depends: plinth
    sudo-ldap
  Depends: piuparts-slave
    sudo-ldap
  Suggests: pconsole
    sudo-ldap
  Recommends: pbuilder
    sudo-ldap
  Recommends: opennebula-common
    sudo-ldap
  Recommends: open-infrastructure-system-config
    sudo-ldap
  Recommends: open-infrastructure-container-tools
    sudo-ldap
  Suggests: nsntrace
    sudo-ldap
  Depends: neutron-plugin-nec-agent
    sudo-ldap
  Depends: neutron-openvswitch-agent
    sudo-ldap
  Depends: neutron-linuxbridge-agent
    sudo-ldap
  Depends: neutron-l3-agent
    sudo-ldap
  Depends: neutron-dhcp-agent
    sudo-ldap
  Suggests: mountpy
    sudo-ldap
  Depends: mini-buildd
    sudo-ldap
  Recommends: mercurial-buildpackage
    sudo-ldap
  Recommends: live-config
    sudo-ldap
  Enhances: liquidprompt
    sudo-ldap
  Depends: linaro-image-tools
    sudo-ldap
  Recommends: libgksu2-0
    sudo-ldap
  Depends: ldap-account-manager-lamdaemon
    sudo-ldap
  Depends: lava-dispatcher
    sudo-ldap
  Depends: kdesudo
    sudo-ldap
 |Depends: jenkins-debian-glue
    sudo-ldap
  Depends: ironic-common
    sudo-ldap
  Recommends: inxi
    sudo-ldap
  Recommends: hobbit-plugins (>= 1.7.2p1-1)
  Suggests: harden-environment
    sudo-ldap
  Suggests: harden
    sudo-ldap
  Depends: gnumed-server
    sudo-ldap
  Depends: gksu
    sudo-ldap
  Suggests: git-buildpackage
    sudo-ldap
  Recommends: geximon
    sudo-ldap
  Suggests: fvwm-crystal
    sudo-ldap
  Depends: freedombox-setup
    sudo-ldap
  Suggests: etckeeper (>= 1.7.4p4)
  Depends: docbookwiki (>= 1.7.2p1-1)
  Depends: emdebian-crush
    sudo-ldap
  Depends: elida
    sudo-ldap
  Recommends: education-standalone
    sudo-ldap
  Depends: dtc-xen
    sudo-ldap
  Recommends: drobo-utils
    sudo-ldap
  Depends: dpsyco-sudo
    sudo-ldap
  Recommends: apt-dater-host
    sudo-ldap
  Recommends: dkms
    sudo-ldap
  Depends: diaspora-common
    sudo-ldap
  Depends: debian-installer-launcher
    sudo-ldap
  Depends: debci
    sudo-ldap
  Depends: ctdb
    sudo-ldap
  Suggests: configure-debian
    sudo-ldap
  Recommends: check-mk-multisite
    sudo-ldap
  Recommends: bundler
    sudo-ldap
  Depends: bashburn
    sudo-ldap
  Recommends: auto-apt
    sudo-ldap
  Depends: arriero
    sudo-ldap
  Recommends: ara
    sudo-ldap
  Recommends: apt-src
    sudo-ldap

That was'nt unfortunately the question :grin: "winetricks" is definitely no pihole dependence. A better fitting attempt would be
apt rdepends sudo | grep -i pihole
And you will notice that "sudo" also works without pihole.

To see, if pihole depend from sudo show this statement:
apt rdepends pihole
And you will notice that nothing is found.

Pihole was not installed from a Distribution-Repository, therefore there are no apt-dependencies. This is not a real problem, but my question can only be explained by the developers. Pihole can really be a valuable and great program, it just should not break elemental security rules. As long as I can set the permissions myself and prevent unauthorized root privileges, that's all ok.

I know.
I was just showing a way how to figure out if you have packages installed that depend on sudo.
If you have software installed thats on the list, it will most likely break or get pulled down when removing sudo :wink: