Default Layout Options

I guess you shouldn't do complex administration on narrow screen devices. Having this multi-line will not be helpful if you have many lists on there.

Otherwise I'm pretty sure it is more complex than such simple cosmetics.

The cosmetic aspects of this page actually do cause some problems. A simple on/off toggle shouldn’t take up a huge amount of space. Why is the “action” column so unnecessarily wide?

I’m looking at the page on 4096 pixel wide display with no scaling and the page takes up about 1/3 the width of the display, but thanks for the helpful input. I was simply trying to contribute a mock-up idea for implementation, not trying to provoke some worthless commentary about how I’m doing it wrong.

I’ll make sure any additional attempts I make to contribute anything include screenshots that are mostly white space.

Otherwise I'm pretty sure it is more complex than such simple cosmetics.

Obviously...

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you in any way. Really. I only wanted to point out that it is more complex than redesigning things. They will still like input also on the cosmetics, I'm sure about this. Your screenshot just doesn't look like a 4096px wide screen. Not even 1/3 of it. Maybe there is some scaling or zooming in place. And I agree the Action column should be narrower.

By default, the admin interface is set to "boxed mode", which can be changed in the settings page.

Unpopular opinion, I don't care for the default boxed layout, and it's the first thing I change when I do clean installs.

But maybe that means I never use pi-hole on 'large' screens.

1 Like

I view the web interface on my main computer on a quite large screen, and on a laptop with a much smaller screen, and the boxed layout has never been a good choice. Way too much dead space.

I like the boxed layout. Look at this forum, it does something similar by default. It doesn't look bad either.

Having said that, I think it is something they inherited from AdminLTE. It could easily be disabled by default, no? @PromoFaux @DL6ER

Have moved the above discussion off to a new topic, as it was slightly o/t for the original thread.

It could be, but then the people that like it will complain that it is not on by default. But this is exactly why users have the ability to toggle it on or off, it's a subjective opinion as to whether or not one likes it, so it is up to the user to set it to their preference.

1 Like