DEBUG not generating log only UI and CLI output: NO token

I am having the same issue with FTL 4.0 being offline line. Adddionally I have run pihole -d to debug and I do recieve output via the cli and via pihole web, but after each attempt I do not get a token only “use netcat” ad the log in /var/log/ is empty. The time stamp does seem to update after each run. But it is not updated which leads me to believe there is a perms issue. The debug long indicated after Pi-Hole log that “cat write error” . I can gladly upload the file I created from a copy and paste by unfortunately I do not have a token. Please advise. PLease note like others my pie hole status states DNS service is running and Pihole blocking is enabled. How ever pihole FTL status reads {1868} :dnsmasq failed to create listening socket for port 53 :persmission denied. Also not i have been through number pihole -r iterations. Also note I have statically set my eth0 int in the /etc/network.interfaces.d . Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Please paste your debug log here.

We have the debug log and made it private.

Please let me know if you need any other info. These were my other issues.

I am having the same issue with FTL 4.0 being offline line. Adddionally I have run pihole -d to debug and I do recieve output via the cli and via pihole web, but after each attempt I do not get a token only “use netcat” ad the log in /var/log/ is empty. The time stamp does seem to update after each run. But it is not updated which leads me to believe there is a perms issue. The debug long indicated after Pi-Hole log that “cat write error” . I can gladly upload the file I created from a copy and paste by unfortunately I do not have a token. Please advise. Please note like others my pie hole status states DNS service is running and Pihole blocking is enabled. How ever pihole FTL status reads {1868} :dnsmasq failed to create listening socket for port 53 :permission denied. Also not i have been through number pihole -r iterations. Also note I have statically set my eth0 int in the /etc/network.interfaces.d . Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

What's the output of

sudo lsof -i :53 +c 0 | awk 'FNR==2{ print $1 }'

nothing I assume I should have gotten a list of processes running on port 53. A bunch of trouble shooting interations i remove bind9 . Then recently based on another topic FTL is offline after update to 4.0 . I removed it

"Once you have done this, you need to find out why dnsmasq is starting.

If you don’t use dnsmasq in your own setup, it is safe to uninstall it if you so chose to do so.

sudo apt remove dnsmasq however since it’s a dependency of Network Manager, it MIGHT be re-installed if your environment is set-up for auto updates and it will break FTLDNS again. (C to ramset)"

Correct. If nothing is returned with the above command, it means that port 53 is available.

Could you share the full output of

sudo systemctl status pihole-FTL.service

root@amlogic:~# service pihole-FTL status
● pihole-FTL.service - LSB: pihole-FTL daemon
Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/pihole-FTL; bad; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: active (exited) since Fri 2018-08-10 12:38:56 EDT; 9min ago
Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
Process: 1871 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/pihole-FTL start (code=exited, status=0/SU

Aug 10 12:38:54 amlogic systemd[1]: Starting LSB: pihole-FTL daemon...
Aug 10 12:38:54 amlogic pihole-FTL[1871]: Not running
Aug 10 12:38:54 amlogic pihole-FTL[1871]: chown: cannot access '/etc/pihole/dhcp
Aug 10 12:38:54 amlogic pihole-FTL[1871]: Failed to set capabilities on file `/u
Aug 10 12:38:54 amlogic pihole-FTL[1871]: The value of the capability argument i
Aug 10 12:38:55 amlogic su[1989]: Successful su for pihole by root
Aug 10 12:38:55 amlogic su[1989]: + ??? root:pihole
Aug 10 12:38:55 amlogic su[1989]: pam_unix(su:session): session opened for user
Aug 10 12:38:56 amlogic pihole-FTL[1871]: dnsmasq: failed to create listening so
Aug 10 12:38:56 amlogic systemd[1]: Started LSB: pihole-FTL daemon.

root@amlogic:~# sudo systemctl restart pihole-FTL.service
root@amlogic:~# service pihole-FTL status
Active: active (exited) since Fri 2018-08-10 12:53:16 EDT; 4s ago
Process: 4168 ExecStop=/etc/init.d/pihole-FTL stop (code=exited, status=0/SUCC
Process: 4173 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/pihole-FTL start (code=exited, status=0/SU

Aug 10 12:53:16 amlogic systemd[1]: Starting LSB: pihole-FTL daemon...
Aug 10 12:53:16 amlogic pihole-FTL[4173]: Not running
Aug 10 12:53:16 amlogic pihole-FTL[4173]: chown: cannot access '/etc/pihole/dhcp
Aug 10 12:53:16 amlogic pihole-FTL[4173]: Failed to set capabilities on file `/u
Aug 10 12:53:16 amlogic pihole-FTL[4173]: The value of the capability argument i
Aug 10 12:53:16 amlogic su[4198]: Successful su for pihole by root
Aug 10 12:53:16 amlogic su[4198]: + ??? root:pihole
Aug 10 12:53:16 amlogic su[4198]: pam_unix(su:session): session opened for user
Aug 10 12:53:16 amlogic pihole-FTL[4173]: dnsmasq: failed to create listening so
Aug 10 12:53:16 amlogic systemd[1]: Started LSB: pihole-FTL daemon.

root@amlogic:~# ^C
root@amlogic:~# sudo lsof -i :53 +c 0 |awk 'FNR=2{print $1}'
root@amlogic:~# clear
e[3;J
root@amlogic:~# sudo systemctl status pihole-FTL.service
Active: active (exited) since Fri 2018-08-10 12:53:16 EDT; 4h 37min ago
Process: 4168 ExecStop=/etc/init.d/pihole-FTL stop (code=exited, status=0/SUCC
Process: 4173 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/pihole-FTL start (code=exited, status=0/SU

Warning: Journal has been rotated since unit was started. Log output is incomple
lines 1-8/8 (END)

What about

sudo setcap CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE,CAP_NET_RAW,CAP_NET_ADMIN+eip /usr/bin/pihole-FTL

Does it give you an error or no output ?

BTW chown: cannot access '/etc/pihole/dhcp does not exist. I created it in past trouble shooting iterations and i had issues else where. Additionally I do not plan on using the install as a DHCP server. just as a dns /ad blocker

root@amlogic:~# sudo setcap CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE,CAP_NET_RAW,CAP_NET_ADMIN=eip /usr/bin/pihole-FTL
Failed to set capabilities on file `/usr/bin/pihole-FTL' (Invalid argument)
The value of the capability argument is not permitted for a file. Or the file is not a regular (non-symlink) file
root@amlogic:~#

+eip

try it again with +

root@amlogic:~# sudo setcap CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE,CAP_NET_RAW,CAP_NET_ADMIN+eip /usr/bin/pihole-FTL
Failed to set capabilities on file `/usr/bin/pihole-FTL' (Invalid argument)
The value of the capability argument is not permitted for a file. Or the file is not a regular (non-symlink) file

Allright, one more command:

df -Th
root@amlogic:~# df -Th
Filesystem     Type      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev           devtmpfs  326M     0  326M   0% /dev
tmpfs          tmpfs      85M   12M   73M  14% /run
/dev/mmcblk1p2 ext4       15G  3.1G   12G  22% /
tmpfs          tmpfs     423M  9.6M  413M   3% /dev/shm
tmpfs          tmpfs     5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
tmpfs          tmpfs     423M     0  423M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs          tmpfs     423M   13M  410M   3% /tmp
/dev/mmcblk1p1 vfat      128M   50M   78M  39% /boot
log2ram        tmpfs      50M   50M     0 100% /var/log
tmpfs          tmpfs      85M   36K   85M   1% /run/user/0

FYI I am running an armbain Ubuntu 16.0.4 install off a sdcard on a nexbox device

set it up so I could run pihole on the device as it is preloaded with an andriod OS

although you may have gathered that from the debug log

There's no room left on this mountpoint

I think you cannot set the setcap because you are running the container in a non privileged mode.

What happens when you try to restart pihole-FTL.service using the root user.

systemctl restart pihole-FTL.service

What's the output of the status command after that ( systemctl status pihole-FTL.service )?