Dashboard down, ads are blocking

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/U1H77tFf/

Hi, strange issue today. Went to log into the interface and got the /etc/pihole/setupVars.conf is missing error. However, the file is where it's supposed to be.

But, when I enter pi.hole/admin, I get a partially working interface...

I'm running this in a docker on an openmediavault nas (debian based). I recreated the container and had it pull the image fresh.

Any ideas?

I suppose I can add that when I tail the lighttpd error log in the container shell, I get errors:

2022-01-23 15:56:43: (mod_fastcgi.c.421) FastCGI-stderr: PHP Warning:  parse_ini_file(/etc/pihole/setupVars.conf): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/html/admin/scripts/pi-hole/php/auth.php on line 33
2022-01-23 15:56:45: (mod_fastcgi.c.421) FastCGI-stderr: PHP Warning:  parse_ini_file(/etc/pihole/pihole-FTL.conf): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/html/admin/scripts/pi-hole/php/database.php on line 12
2022-01-23 15:56:55: (mod_fastcgi.c.421) FastCGI-stderr: PHP Warning:  parse_ini_file(/etc/pihole/setupVars.conf): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/html/admin/scripts/pi-hole/php/password.php on line 19
2022-01-23 15:56:55: (mod_fastcgi.c.421) FastCGI-stderr: PHP Warning:  parse_ini_file(/etc/pihole/setupVars.conf): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/html/admin/scripts/pi-hole/php/auth.php on line 33
2022-01-23 15:56:57: (mod_fastcgi.c.421) FastCGI-stderr: PHP Warning:  parse_ini_file(/etc/pihole/pihole-FTL.conf): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/html/admin/scripts/pi-hole/php/database.php on line 12

[i] Pi-hole Docker Container: 2021.12

Can you try on the latest, please? We've pushed three releases since then!

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/xQDO1NGI/

Bummer, same result.

I completely wiped out my data directories and reset the owner to root. Basically, starting over with empty directories, appdata/pihole and appdata/pihole/dnsmasq.d

I also deleted my docker container and created it again from scratch. I use portainer interface to manage docker containers, not that it should matter.

I also noticed a few files change owner:group from root:root to openmediavault-webgui:openmediavault-config. It's pihole-FTL.conf, gravity.db, and gravity_old.db. All other files in the pihole directory stay as root:root.... I haven't noticed this in other apps I've run in docker containers.

Strangely, your current xQDO1NG debug log suggests it has been runing for a long time:

*** [ INITIALIZING ]
[i] 2022-01-25:23:19:05 debug log has been initialized.
[i] System has been running for 40 days, 10 hours, 57 minutes

I wouldn't be so sure about that.
I recall an issue a while ago where portainer would persistently hold on to certain configuration details despite containers being recreated (PromoFaux, do you perhaps recall which one?).

Hi @Bucking_Horn, that's actually the base system's uptime. My OMV server on which docker is running has been up 40 days. Maybe you're used to people regularly booting up a dedicated RPi :slight_smile:

Just for fun, I deleted my bind mounts in the container and recreated it. Pihole runs great. I'm sure the owner:group and RCL of my server is breaking normal operation. I might take up the issue with the open media vault folks.

I think I can just live with this if I occasionally back up the pihole config. Thanks for thinking through this with me!