Curious - graph.facebook.com

I don't use facebook but am seeing a lot of lookups to graph.facebook.com and am aconsidering blacklisting it.

Anyone know why these lookups are occurring?

I did search in the forum on the web address but nothing came back.

I can confirm this. I neither use this service (or any other social media) and a quick look at my Query Log page revealed, that I have had 29 queries to such domains within the most recent 24 hours.

Further investigations show, that those queries do not seem to happen contemporaneous to any other related queries, so I suppose that they originate from some webpage I have had opened in the background for a longer time.

According to a quick Google Search:

The Graph API is the primary way to get data in and out of Facebook's social graph. It's a low-level HTTP-based API that is used to query data, post new stories, upload photos and a variety of other tasks that an app might need to do.

On some sites your able to login using your Facebook account like forums etc.
So i assume a bit of Facebook related code is communicated if you visit such sites even if you are not logged in.
A Facebook logo with an URL for example, neither of which are usually stored on the server hosting the site.

I must say paranoia has hit all time high since tracking DNS traffic with Pi-Hole.
Everything is suspected :wink:

1 Like

That is true. I have sent those social media things via wildcard to the blocking area. I don't mind if the icons of them don't even show up.

Yes, I already searched that

I already said I don't use facebook, so none of that applies.

I also don't click on links to facebook pages.

Also, all my settings are cleared, cache, cookies, forms, etc.

1 Like

Yes, i'm going to block it as well.

I was just curious as a non facebook user WHY these lookups were occuring from my computer.

1 Like

It's websites that use Facebook's API. You don't have to have anything to do with Facebook, but if you go to a site that uses this API, then you'll see it in your queries. Blocking it has no negative effect on Facebook or websites that use the API...

Just visit this site as an example and tail your Pi-Hole log for facebook entries:

https://www.chess.com/register

Whenever you visit a site that has one of those Facebook buttons, you will see queries for facebook on your Pi-Hole.

1 Like