Create DNS records interactively on Pi-hole server

Hello,

I've read previous posts and a few others but as a newbie I feel that I need a little more advice/suggestion. My apologies for doing a better job in reading the documentation.

I have two servers (Pi-hole & raspbx) that have static IP address. I've enabled Conditional Forwarding (and it works fine for the other servers in the LAN) but these two servers are being reported in the Dashboard by their IP addresses only. Each server is being reported with its FQDN with a minor variation for an Ubuntu 18.10 desktop (with two NICs and two entries - one FQDN and one hostname only). I have /etc/hosts on each applicable machine with two names (one FQDN followed by hostname with proper spaces for the 127.0.0.1 entry in these files).

Prior to enabling Conditional Forwarding, as the documentation states, the reports did not have FQDN. But now I want 100% FQDN (if such a thing is practical/possible! :stuck_out_tongue:)

Is it possible to create manual entries in any Pi-hole configuration file so that the I can view reports for the Pi-hole and raspbx servers with FQDN rather than IP addresses?

Thanks.

1 Like

What are the contents of the /etc/hosts file where you have these mapped?

The contents of the /etc/hosts file is exactly as shown below:

127.0.0.1	localhost
::1		localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
ff02::1		ip6-allnodes
ff02::2		ip6-allrouters

127.0.1.1	raspbari25.parkcircus.org parkcircus25

I changed raspbx to raspbari25. Also, perhaps off-topic or another thread needed but the Synology server is also being reported by IP address. Zenmap reports the first address of the Synology server with FQDN but the remaining three statically assigned IP address (total 4 NICs) are reported with IP addresses also. All other RPi servers are reported by FQDN.

Obviously a lack of knowledge on my part. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.