Could not update local repository. Contact support

The issue I am facing:
Pihole -up notifies me that I have several updates (Pihole core, web interface, and FTL) but then fails. Message is "Could not update local repository. Contact support."

Details about my system:
RPi3 running Raspbian. Full update to RPi pushed through today. Problem persists after reboot.

What I have changed since installing Pi-hole:
Many custom regex and site white- and blacklists.

I read what I could on the previous posts, but they are all so technical and specific that I wasn't sure what applied. Thanks!

Please upload a debug log and post just the token URL that is generated after the log is uploaded by running the following command from the Pi-hole host terminal:

pihole -d

or do it through the Web interface:

Tools > Generate Debug Log

Thank you. The debug log token is Https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/D5f5p5bu/

Please provide the complete output of pihole -up

Oops. Ignore that last email. Windows hotkey.

[X] Update local cache of available packages

[X] Existing PHP installation detected: PHP version 7.0.33=+deb9u12

[X] checking for git

[X] checking for iproute2

[X] checking for whiptail

[X] checking for ca-certificates

[i] checking for updates….

[i] Pi-hole core: update available

[i] Web Interface: update available

[i] FTL: update available

[i] Pi-hole core files out of date, updating local repo.

[X] check for existing repository in /etc/.pihole

[i] update repo in /etc/.pihole

: Could not update local repository. Contact support.

These steps will remove the /etc/.pihole directory, and then it will be recreated.

cd /
sudo rm -rf /etc/.pihole
sudo git clone https://github.com/pi-hole/pi-hole /etc/.pihole

Followed these steps. The update doesn’t appear to have taken place on the Web interface, so not sure this was completely successful.

During the procedure, I got the notice that I had an unsupported O/S (Raspbian 9).

Later, I was presented with the choice to repair or reset. I chose repair to be on the safe side.

When I rebooted, I got the message “unable to reset var/www/html/admin. exiting installer.”

The Web interface still shows updates available, and when I click those links, I am taken to Github, with no further instructions on what to do.

Thanks.

Try

sudo rm -rf /var/www/html/admin
sudo git clone https://github.com/pi-hole/AdminLTE.git /var/www/html/admin

pihole -r
1 Like

[i] SELinux not detected
[✓] Update local cache of available packages
[i] Existing PHP installation detected : PHP version 7.0.33-0+deb9u12

[✓] Checking apt-get for upgraded packages... up to date!
The below now appears when i try to update, so i guess it partially worked. However, web interface is still telling me i have updates. I can live without them if the tool itself really is updated, but kind of curious what upgrades you have made to the interface.

[i] Checking for / installing Required dependencies for OS Check...
[✓] Checking for grep
[✓] Checking for dnsutils

[✗] Unsupported OS detected: Raspbian 9
If you are seeing this message and you do have a supported OS, please contact support.

OK, I am dumb. The terminal told me to run the skip O/S check step, and after after choosing repair, that has updated the FTL and web interface.

sudo PIHOLE_SKIP_OS_CHECK=true pihole -r

Thanks!

You're using an OS that appears to have been EOL for 2 years. You really should update to Bullseye to keep getting security updates.

1 Like

Thank you for the tip. I didn’t realize that. Would I have to reload Pihole and start over?

The most reliable approach is to backup your Pi-hole settings with teleporter. Then do a completely fresh OS install of Bullseye. Give the Pi a static IP, set your location, time zone, keyboard, etc.

Run sudo apt update and sudo apt upgrade to get your OS on the latest.

Reinstall Pi-hole and then import your old settings with the teleporter function in the web admin GUI.

If you care about your long term data in the query database, manually save the following file to a location other than the SD card, then import it into the new Pi-hole install.

The file is:

/etc/pihole/pihole-FTL.db

To import the file into a running Pi-hole instance, do the following:

sudo service pihole-FTL stop

put the file back into the /etc/pihole directory, overwriting what is there now.

sudo service pihole-FTL start

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.