Connectivity drops out

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Expected Behaviour:

Connectivity should always be available.

Actual Behaviour:

Random drops in connectivity for a few minutes at a time. Nothing external to my network will load. Bringing up the Pi-hole dashboard presents "loading" spinners for all graphs. Once the outages resolve there's a huge spike in requests on the graphs (DNS requests queued up?). I was connected remotely to my home server while my wife reported that the internet was once again not accessible so it appears that upstream connectivity is not the issue. During this period I noticed the command line console reported "Ads Today: 0% (Total: 0 of 0)" then a few minutes later was back to "Ads Today: 9% (Total: 2453 of 26560)". I'm running Pi-hole on an Ubuntu 18.04 server along with some other services but CPU and memory utilization during these blips has always been low.

Debug Token:

lbygvm1iyr

I just saw the issue occur again.

I ran pihole -d -a again during the outage but the log was not uploaded as it could not connect to anything. I have a copy of the log in case anyone wants to inspect it, though.

I'm running lighttpd on port 8000 so that explains a couple of errors in the log, but Pi-hole has been running fine with this setting for months.

Thanks!

Sorry for the slow responses, but this issue is hard to pin down. It sounds like the cause might be a networking issue. How do you have your Pi-hole connected to your network? Do you experience these connectivity losses if you use Pi-hole's upstream DNS directly?

Not a problem, thanks for responding!

This morning the hard drive died. Could what I experienced have been Pi-hole attempting, and failing, to write a file? Would the logs have shown write errors?

Is there a way for me to close this topic? I don't think this installation can be debugged any more.

Thanks again!

1 Like

If the disk was being an issue, that could have affected the whole system, so it was likely causing issues with everything. I'll close the topic.