Conditional Forwarding stops working when I reboot host or restart container

I typically use Portainer, but can do it in Terminal just as easy.

Oh, Portainer... You should have said that from the start.

Portainer injects it's own environment variables and changes a lot of things.

Still have same issue when spinning up from command line though so I don’t think Portainer has anything to do with it. I will double check though.

Just tried a fresh spin up in terminal and got the same result; so it's not something with Portainer. I also tried removing PROXY_LOCATION and VIRTUAL_PORT and had no effect.

Do you want the contents of setupVars.conf and 01-pihole.conf? I can get those to you.

Do those files exist in the volume mounts before you start the container?

3 posts were split to a new topic: 8.8.4.4 being set in docker if only one server set in PIHOLE_DNS_ env variable

No. I've been deleting them before spinning up a new container.

Any thoughts as to what may be going on here? At this point, I'm contemplating just running it on bare metal if we can't figure it out.

I'm having exact issue as interconnect though I'm less technical user, I'm on newest version, I noticed the Pihole is showing wrong hostname (show my phone was active when I was away - different IP suddenly got the same hostname), so I tried to Flush network table once, then saw it was still wrong, then I do it one more time, also Restart DNS resolver and restart the pi. After that, pi hole completely stop fetching hostname no matter what I do afterward. :frowning:

Tried everything from flush, check/uncheck the Conditional Forwarding option again, even reset the pi with pihole -r, but nothing seems to work, it still showing IP without hostname for some reason. Even though having the same issue, I don't do any weird configuration at all. REV_SERVER variables all are enable in the conf file. I notice I was having the flag CONDITIONAL_FORWARDING=false before reset though