Compliments to the developers

My compliments to the developers of PiHole. This is a nicely functioning piece of software that does what it does very well, even on very basic computers (I have one copy running on a Pi Zero W that cost me $15). I appreciate the work you put into writing this software, which I know is not an easy task. In particular, I note that the developers are active on this page, which shows they are keeping on top of the software in the field and making it better. Thanks.

My recommendation (for what it's worth): strongly resist feature requests that don't add to the core functionality. Keep a killer app that does one thing very, very well.

In my many years using computers (started sometime in the mid 70's) and in my early days doing a lot of programming, I've seen a number of nice programs turn to total junk when the software companies strayed from what the software did well. They ended up with software that didn't do anything well. Just a few examples off the top of my head (1) SoundJam was the original iTunes. Apple bought them and over the years (many), they've managed to make this pretty terrible. If all you want to do is play your music, it's tough. (2) Skype - nice piece of software for VOIP, then Microsoft got hold of it and it's dreadful. (3) Quicken for Mac - Intuit killed this, perhaps Quicken can resurrect it.

And one note for those of you who are reading this and use PiHole. If you haven't donated, you're a cheapskate. Break out the wallet and donate something. That's what keeps great software great.

6 Likes