Clients not using pi-hole

I was using a raspberry pi b3+ then changed to the raspberry P4

Expected Behaviour:

All network clients PC's / Mobile Devices should be using pihole, But are not some mobile devices are on some not. Amazon firestick & 2 network computers.

Previous installation of pihole on rpib3+ some features were not working but with this fresh install on rp4 more features are working?.

eg: Client group management now showing.
Pihole.log file (live) hardly NO information being displayed ?.
Compute graphical statistics from the Pi-hole query database now showing information.
Pi-hole query database now showing information.
Top lists now showing information.
Network overview now showing information.

Another issue is if i disable DHCP on the router i lose internet connection to my computer and ONLY get the internet back when i re-enable DHCP on the router not other pc / mobile is affected.

When i did this useing the rp3b3+ installation, This was never a issue but was still missing some features as listed above.

-hardware]_

Raspberry Pi4

Actual Behaviour:

Some clients NOT using pihole? as seen in screenshot.

Debug Token:

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/rJoVpBCW/

There are two DHCP servers running on your network. One is the Pi-hole itself and the other is your router. The router's DHCP is giving out your ISP's DNS servers to clients to use for their DNS. You really just want one DHCP server, the Pi-hole. Are you able to disable the router's DHCP server?

On DESKTOP-QGC616S, which appears to not be using Pi-hole, try the following commands in a terminal window to confirm the DNS servers in use. It will state the server in use in each case, with the second one being Pi-hole directly.

nslookup flurry.com
nslookup flurry.com 192.168.0.66

There is a legend on the bottom of the page explaining the different background colors:

The item marked in yellow used Pi-hole in the last 24h.

The items marked in red used Pi-hole before, but not in the last 24h. If you take a look at the "Last Query" column you will see these devices used Pi-hole yesterday, just a little over 24h ago. The devices are probably away from your network (or currently not in use).

The only item not using Pi-hole is the router (the last row).

I understand about the DHCP this is a problem as quoted above when i disable DHCP on the router i have NO internet. meaning no internet not being able to connect to pi-hole. :thinking:

I also understand the legend, also as highlited the AUSTec PC NOT using Pihole and it should as its always on and connected to the same router as my machine and the amazon firestick should also be using pihole?

When i was using pihole on the Pi3B+ last time it was working fine all devices were wroking and using pihole.

The only thing that has changed is the device using running pihole.

Can you explain why this time i disable DHCP on the router( which i know already i should) But i lose the internet when i do?.

DHCP is going to tell your clients which system to use for DNS. So if you have clients that aren't using Pihole for DNS, I would guess that's because their being told the wrong system to use for DNS, or they are being told the correct system but can't communicate with that system.

When you disable DHCP on the router, I assume you are immediately enabling DHCP in Pihole and renewing your DHCP lease on the client(s) in question.

After DHCP is renewed, you need to look at the client's IP settings to see what is configured for the DNS server and that it's what you intend it to be.

Another way of getting this information is to go to your AUSTec PC command line and run
nslookup discourse.pi-hole.net
(or another website) and see what DNS server is being used for the lookup in the response it gives you.

Once you get that information, the resolution advice should be more clear to those offering. :slight_smile: