Clients listed as "dsldevice.lan" instead of client name

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

If you are Experiencing issues with a Pi-hole install that has non-standard elements (e.g you are using nginx instead of lighttpd, or there is some other aspect of your install that is customised) - please use the Community Help category.

I have pi-hole 5.18.2 installed on a Raspberry Pi 4B running 6.6.20+rpt-rpi-v8; my devices all use the cable router (192.168.1.1) for DNS, and the cable router is configured to use the static address of my Pi-Hole Raspberry Pi. It is working to block ads to my devices.

Expected Behaviour:

When I view the Query Log in the Pi-Hole admin screen, I expect to see some useful name in the "Client" column.

Actual Behaviour:

Instead, all clients are named "dsldevice.lan"

Debug Token:

[Replace this text with the debug token provided from running pihole -d (or running the debug script through the web interface]

This would appear to be expected behavior given how you've set it up; your router is providing DNS for all your clients, and Pihole is providing DNS for your router. Therefore, the Pihole sees the router as its only client.

To get the "expected behavior," you'll want to either manually configure each client to use Pihole for DNS, or configure DHCP to provide Pihole's IP as the DNS for your network.

1 Like