Clients IP showing instead client hostname

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Expected Behaviour:

pi-hole shows client hostnames

Actual Behaviour:

pi-hole show clients IPs

Debug Token: wecdmqo9v5

I use the pihole as a DHCP server and all the clients are named and have an IP at the "Static DHCP leases configuration".
Clients hostname was showing and suddenly I just can see the IP.

I have seen this behavior occasionally. In most cases, a browser refresh clears it. You might also try clearing the browser cache and then reloading the web admin page.

Not directly related to your problem, but a common question:

If you don't like the client hostnames that are shown (these are the names Pi-Hole gets during the DHCP handshake), you can enter the clients in your /etc/hosts file on the Pi and put a client name there. This is helpful if the client name that Pi-Hole has is not descriptive.

An example might be a printer - the printer tells Pi-Hole that is device "BrotherHL-5370W-wireless", but you want it to show as "office-printer".

Edit the /etc/hosts file (sudo nano etc/hosts) and add a new line with the IP for that device and the name you want:

192.168.0.102 office-printer

Save and exit.

Also make sure that /etc/resolv.conf uses localhost for DNS resolution. Otherwise, FTL will not be using itself when looking up client hostnames.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.