Clients connecting to internet on one of bands of dual band wifi

Basic info about my setup:

I have mainly been testing on my phone. Pihole is running on a pi 3 B on Rasbian Strech lite, fresh install. It is running the DHCP on my network, behind my Asus RT-N66U router. The pi is connected to my network through the 2.4GHz band. My original pihole started having issues. I did a fresh install on a new board with a new SD card and changed from an Ethernet connection to a wireless connection.
My phone is a Pixel 2 XL on the developer preview of android P.

I have scoured to try and find a solution for this as it was happening when the router was the DHCP. I don't know enough about networking to fully diagnose the problem and would appreciate any and all help or resources.

Expected Behaviour:

Both bands of wifi will access the internet on my phone. Be able to ping pihole from both bands of wifi.

Actual Behaviour:

My phone only connects to the internet through pihole on the 5ghz wifi and gets no internet access on the 2.4GHz network. While on 2.4GHz, the phone is unable to ping pihole.

When connecting my phone to the 2.4GHz network it has trouble obtaining an IP address automatically. When I manually set IP address and the DNS on my phone to google, it connects to the internet.

Debug Token:

wnl4xcrny3

Thank you for taking the time to read an help.

Try using the same SSID for both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz. Your device will chose whatever is strongest depending on proximity (to the router).

It shouldn't behave like that regardless of the SSID your phone is on.
Your router HAS DHCP disabled, right ?

1 Like

Yes, DHCP is disabled on the router. Will changing them to the same SSID cause any issues with other devices?

Would that help with me not being able to ping the pihole from one of the bands?

Yes. There is no way for the connected devices to pick up the new SSID unless you connect them to it.

If your SSID was split into let's say Home-2.4 and Home-5 and you end up going with Home only then everything that was connected to Home-2.4 and Home-5 will have to be re-configured for Home.

I'm not sure why this is happening but I'd select the wired connection over the wireless one (again, just a personal choice - I do have 2 other Pi-hole instances connected over WiFi).

Try setting up the Pi-hole's DNS interface to listen to all, maybe that will help too (see if this does anything before merging SSIDs).

1 Like

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll give it a try. I have it set to listen on all interfaces, doesn't seem to be helping or hurting.

So I plugged my pihole into ethernet, and made the SSIDs the same for both bands. This seems to fix any issues that I am having. @RamSet Thank you for the help, I really appreciate it.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.