Client IP Addresses Shown Only as "unknown" - Fresh Tomato router software

Expected Behaviour:

The client column in the Pihole Query Log should show the querying device's local IP address.

Pi-hole v5.17.2 running on a pi0w
FTL v5.23
Web Interface v5.20.2

Actual Behaviour:

All querying clients show as "unknown".

I have the router acting as the DHCP server and DNS directed at pihole's local IP to provide filtering. Does anyone know what typical router setting might control passing the local IP address to pihole? I'm running the latest version of Fresh Tomato on a Netgear R7000. Thank you!

Debug Token:

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/KfRysCHV/

The answer may involve enabling "conditional forwarding." Unfortunately, I've never used it as I've setup DHCP on Pi-hole. But there should be documentation and answers if you use that keyword.

I tried enabling that on pihole, but it didn't make any difference. Wouldn't I need to change something on the router?

Similar topic:

The router acts as the DHCP server and DNS requests are directed to pihole's local IP. Blocking/filtering still functions, as shown in my screenshot. I am utilizing pihole as described in the first paragraph of your linked FAQ and have been for years without issue. I believe this first started happening after I updated the router firmware. I've searched the Fresh Tomato wiki and couldn't find a solution, so I asked the question here first. I'm curious if there's a setting anyone knows of that controls passing the local IP to pihole.

Right about the same time you sent this, I discovered a setting in the router under 'Advanced' -> 'DHCP/DNS' (also shown in an image in the topic you linked" that is called "Use Internal DNS". I solved my issue by turning that off, though I did try that before I posted here. I unchecked that box, saved, then navigated to 'Basic' -> 'Network', verified that pihole was specified as the destination for DNS (made no changes), then simply saved that page again. Seemed to resolve it :man_shrugging:
Anyway, however, thank you all for your help, Blockhead, jfb, and rdwebdesign.

For others' future reference

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.