Changed from development back to master branch and Error

Glad it's working now. :slight_smile:
What did bring it back to normal?

And to guard against future resolution failures on your PI-hole host:
Did you configure a static IP address on device?

If so:
Since you are running on RPi OS, consider adding a public nameserver to static domain_name_servers after 127.0.0.1 in your /etc/dhcpcd.conf.
This would allow your Pi-hole host to resolve DNS even when Pi-hole should be rendered inoperative for some reason.

And since you are running unbound:
If you've upgraded to Bullseye somewhere in between switching branches, it would also be worth to check Failed to start unbound - #9 by jfb
(and if interested, for a detailed background, you may also refer to WARNING: Raspbian October 2021 release bullseye + unbound).

1 Like

I'm not sure what sure what brought it back to normal, I changed the nameservers to 8.8.8.8 and ran the pi-hole update as per your message a few mins back.

The update went ahead and completed and afterwards all the errors were gone.

I will follow your advice above.

Shall I change the nameservers back to 127.0.0.1 now to use unbound again?

I went ahead and with nameservers now 127.0.0.1 and checked...

pi@rpi-45:~ $ dig sigok.verteiltesysteme.net @127.0.0.1 -p 5335                                                         
; <<>> DiG 9.16.27-Raspbian <<>> sigok.verteiltesysteme.net @127.0.0.1 -p 5335
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 30539
;; flags: qr rd ra ad; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 1232
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;sigok.verteiltesysteme.net.    IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
sigok.verteiltesysteme.net. 60  IN      A       134.91.78.139

;; Query time: 109 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#5335(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Tue Aug 09 13:07:15 BST 2022
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 71

So all looks good again.

Many thanks for your help and patience, without I would have had to do a full remove and re-install, very much appreciated.

The choice of nameserver used for the Pi-hole host device is separate and independent from the upstream DNS servers used by Pi-hole.

If you have Pi-hole configured to use unbound as upstream DNS server, that is what it will use.

The nameserver assignment on the Pi specifies which nameserver that specific device (not Pi-hole) will use. If you set it to 8.8.8.8, the device uses Google for DNS. If you set it to 127.0.0.1, that device will use Pi-hole for DNS, since Pi-hole is running on that device at the loopback address.

Also note that setting the device nameserver to 127.0.0.1 doesn't set that device to use unbound. Unbound is running on port 5335, not 53. The device will use Pi-hole for DNS, and Pi-hole in turn is using unbound for DNS. The device isn't using unbound directly.

Thank you, that's explained really well something that has always had me confused, as you could tell from my last comment!

I could never quite grasp this, I get it now though, thank you.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.