Capitalization in Host Names

Hi Pi-Hole Community,

I have what I hope is a fairly simple question. I’ve searched around on the forum and on Google, but haven’t been able to find a concrete answer. I’ve noticed recently that hostnames are displayed only in lowercase in the PiHole web interface. For example, in the Top Clients section a client whose actual hostname is “Google-Home-Mini” is displayed as “google-home-mini”. I see this behavior for all client hostnames and this wasn’t always the case; in the past, the hostnames would be resolved and displayed with their given letter case. This is a very small detail and doesn’t impact functionality, but it’s really bugging me. Any insight on how to address this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your feedback and for developing such a fantastic tool for the community!

Host names, by design, are case insensitive. This prevents google.com and google.cOm from being different addresses, for example.

Dnsmasq, now embedded in pihole-FTL, reads the domain names from /etc/hosts or dnsmasq configuration file (whichever you use). With an earlier version of dnsmasq the display may have been different, but what you are seeing is a normal result for the current version of Pi-Hole.

That makes sense. Thank you for taking the time to explain this. I appreciate your help!

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.