Can't setup network-wide DNS because of router

Hi guys.

So I've not long finished setting up Pi Hole + Unbound and I've run into quite the predicament. When I go to my router and try to change the Primary DNS to 127.0.0.1 it says "The address cannot be loopback address".

I've been been scouring the internet for about an hour now and have not been able to find anything remotely similar to the issue I'm having and it's starting to drive me nuts. Would anyone here happen to know a fix and/or know what I'm doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm running Pi Hole on a Ubuntu computer and my router is a tp-link router. From what I can tell Pi Hole is working on the host device with no issues.

That statement is quite correct:
It doesn't make sense to point your router at 127.0.0.1 (i.e. itself) for DNS.

Configure your router to use your Pi-hole host machine's IP address instead.

Oh, that was the mistake. I was watching a tutorial on how to set up Pi Hole and Unbound and they didn't specify what to set the router DNS to so I assumed it would be 127.0.0.1

Unfortunately setting my routers DNS to the devices IP address seems to have messed my internet up, so I've definitely done something wrong again.

Sorry to bother you again but I thought I should explain what happened.

When I set the DNS on my router to my devices IP, xxx.xxx.0.1, my router sent me a message saying that to "avoid issues on the front end" the IP must change to xxx.xxx.1.1. So now all of my devices IPs have changed and some devices on my network aren't connecting to the internet properly.

Please upload a debug log and post just the token URL that is generated after the log is uploaded by running the following command from the Pi-hole host terminal:

pihole -d

or do it through the Web interface:

Tools > Generate Debug Log

Here's the token link: https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/OxtpQNLT/

Since my last reply I've reverted my routers settings back to what they were before, so Pi Hole is only running on the host device.

This behaviour would be common for some TP-Link routers, which do not allow to set their upstream DNS server to an IP address within the router's own subnet range.

The solution as proposed by TP-Link personnel is to avoid configuring the router's upstream DNS servers, and change just the DNS server via the router's DHCP settings:
tp-link-router-range-shift

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.