Can't get Pi-hole working, dns won't resolve

Been trying to get Pihole working for a few days now, followed all the steps several times and still nothing. My devices will read that they have the right DNS address and will load pages but pi-hole doesn't filter. Go to the setting page and there tons of cashed DNS insertions but 0 evictions. Perhaps there is some coding I have to do to the router to make it the only DNS? if I do an nslookup on a device I'll get :

Server:  raspberrypi
Address:  192.168.1.84

DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Request to raspberrypi timed-out

Router is Asus RT-AC87R

Any help appreciated.

Expected Behaviour:

DNS filter working
-raspbian buster
-raspberry Pi4

Actual Behaviour:

DNS not filtering

Debug Token:

yc38k6zfj8

Try a dig pi.hole and see if you get back the IP address of the DNS server you wish to use.

Yeah it's reading as cloudflare server on my devices

Those devices are not using Pi-hole for DNS. This is likely a router setting.

It's reading as cloudflare on my devices from the outside. On the devices themselves it reads as the ip of the pihole server and my router. I assume it is the router but I don't appear to have options to disable the router from advertising it's own ip in addition to user specified, or forwarding local domain queries to upstream DNS.

So installed Merlin firmware on router to enable options and I no longer get the router's IP as an additional DNS, but I'm still not getting any filtering and dig still shows the wrong dns server.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.