Cant get DHCP to work

okay, is it possible then to use pihole with dhcp on windows docker, if so can you help me with that, ive tried few docker compose yaml scripts with no luck. If its not what would you recommend instead, i can buy rasperry pi if its easy to setup, also my router does not allow to change dns, thats why i am going for dhcp

Docker Desktop for Windows will not be a DHCP server with any configuration or yaml.

You don't need to buy a Raspberry Pi specifically, any linux based server will work.

1 Like

okay thanks, ill buy rpi, i think its best option cuz i dont have linux machine.

can you suggest good source for installing pihole to rpi

Start with our documentation page:

Flash an OS (Rasperry Pi OS is popular, and they have a good Imager software).

Then install Pi-hole per our documentation.

Configure your network per our post-installation documentation.

@StefanIvovic If you have hyper-V capable version of Win11 (e.g , Pro), you can create a debian vm with that and achieve DHCP.

@Blockhead with like vmware or docker. i am not that savvy with linux network setup, if its complicated and requires extensive setup its not for me :slight_smile:

You don't want to have your DHCP server somewhere that isn't running 24/7.

Yes i am aware of that. If its down internet wont work

No, if the DHCP server is down then the network inside won't work.

I will buy rpi 4 this evening and i will set it up and just leave it there. So i assume there will be no problem

1 Like

Yeah, no problems with that. You don't need the power of a Pi 4 if all you are running is Pi-hole, so don't pay more if you can get another Small/Single Board Computer for cheaper.

@DanSchaper I just did the setup and manually assigned my phones dns to pihole and its working.My isp dont allow dns change. So, is there some way that i dont have to manually set dns to every device on network.

When i enable dhcp on pihole shold i also copy all assignments of static ip adresses to pihole from router? And should i use same walues for dhcp as they are on router ?

@DanSchaper i just enabled dhcp on pihole and disabled it on router. I can access internet but i cant access pihole ui, when i enter its address nothing happens.

You don't need to ping any of us by name. We all see all the posts.

1 Like

I need more detail on this. Where are you entering the address, what address are you entering, what is the exact error or display that is shown when you enter the address.

If you want the static assignments to be the same as what is set on the router then yes. If Pi-hole is your DHCP server then you must disable the DHCP server on the router. You can not have two DHCP servers (without major headaches).

If you want the network to be the same as when your router was the DHCP server, yes.

1 Like

Thank you its working well now

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.