Can't connect to pihole dns, dns doesn't work

Hey everyone,

I have posted this already on reddit but will do it again here,

I have a raspberry pi 4, 4gb ram. I tried to setup my pihole today for the first time and after an apparent successful setup (no errors) I tried utilizing the dns.

No matter what I try (tried using the pi ip on my windows dns settings, changed dns ip to pi in the modem admin panel, tried the dhcp method) my pihole will not work.

I do have a static address set for my pi and whenevery I visit the pihole admin panel I see 4 devices listed and they are 2 repeated twice each (localhost, localhost, franspi and franspi)

I have tried going through several guides but couldn't make it work in any way. Whenever I set pihole as the only dns on my network and/or particular device i get the "connected no internet" message.

I'll add a couple screenshots (blurred some stuff just in case)

I did also do a pihole -d -> https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/rrmhan48sy

huge thanks even just for reading this!

You can post images directly into this window, no need for external links.

Your debug log has expired (auto-delete after 48h to protect your privacy). Please generate a new one.

1 Like

hi! thanks for reaching out. I did end up finding what the problem was thanks to some troubleshooting with a friend of mine

I'll post it here in case someone else finds it useful:

So apparently my pi has a file named "user.rules" in "/etc/ufw" and that file is a configuration for what ports my pi is allowed to use.

The standard dns port (53) was not present in the configuration so I added it and now everything is working fine. I'm not sure what's up with that file since not everyone has it in their pi but yeah

thanks again for reaching out, I appreciate it!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.