Can someone please check my debug log?

Expected Behaviour:

Seems like Pihole is having trouble with blocking ads and network connectivity. I have ran pihole -r and reset the entire pihole system like new

Actual Behaviour:

Pihole is having trouble blocking and ads and it seems like it isn’t resolving domains properly

Debug Token:

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/e457vmc8oi

Your debug log shows Pi-hole is working.

Can you provide an example?

Please provide an example URL where you are seeing ads. Is this on a single client or multiple clients?

Your debug log shows Pi-hole to be active and filtering, with full IPv4 connectivity.

With regard to IPv6, you have gateway connectivity, but Pi-hole seems to be using an invalid or expired IPv6 address (click for details)

(excerpt shortened for relevant sections)

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Networking
[✓] IPv6 address(es) bound to the eth0 interface:
   2601:8c0:xxxx:63f0:394e:cc66:xxxx:xxxx does not match the IP found in /etc/pihole/setupVars.conf

[i] Default IPv6 gateway
[✓] Gateway responded.

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Name resolution (IPv6) using a random blocked domain and a known ad-serving domain
[✓] ads.youniversalnext.com is :: via localhost (::1)
[✗] Failed to resolve ads.youniversalnext.com via Pi-hole (2601:8c0:xxxx:63f0:a1b6:9e8:xxxx:xxxx)
[✓] doubleclick.com is 2607:f8b0:400f:805::200e via a remote, public DNS server (2001:4860:4860::8888)

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Setup variables
    IPV6_ADDRESS=2601:8c0:xxxx:63f0:a1b6:9e8:xxxx:xxxx

For devices preferring IPv6 over IPv4 (often smartphones), this may result in the behaviour you observe (i.e. no filtering and/or failed name resolutions), as such a device may either contact your ISP's IPv6 DNS server or fail.

Likely, your global IPv6 address has changed since you installed Pi-hole (as is common for IPv6 Privacy Extension addresses).

It also seems you are currently not using an IPv6 ULA address (click for more)

While there is indeed much more to IPv6 addresses, the following are relevant for your network configuration:

range description visibility
fe80::/10 link-local private network, same local segment only
fd00::/8 unique local (ULA) private network, potentially all local segments
2000::/3 global unicast all networks - public Internet and private network

As stable address assignment is mandatory for Pi-hole to work, you should consider using a ULA address instead, see Use IPv6 ULA addresses for Pi-hole .

And if your router does not support ULA prefix assignment? (click for more)

You could try and use your Pi-hole machine’s non-routable(!) link-local IPv6 address (from fe80::/10 range).

Note that devices need to be within the same network segment for this to work, i.e. commonly all devices need to connect directly through your router - any L3 switching will prevent devices connected through such a (edit: additional) switch/router/AP to see and communicate with Pi-hole’s link-local address.

Once you assigned a ULA prefix or decided you can use link-local, you can find out about IPv6 addresses associated to your Pi-hole’s eth0 interface with

ip -6 addr show eth0

You’d then have make Pi-hole aware of its new address by running

pihole -r

and choose reconfigure .

Alternatively, you could try and disable IPv6 altogether if your router allows it.

Thank you! This is the information that I was looking for. My router does not support ULA, and does not have a way to disable IPV6. How can I use non-routable or do you know of a place that I can more information regarding this setup?

With IPv6 enabled, any IPv6 capable device will calculate a link-local address by itself (prefixed by fe80:), as your Pi-hole already did.

But note the restriction mentioned earlier:
Using link-local, your Pi-hole will be guaranteed to be accessible via IPv6 only for devices directly connected to your router. It may or may not work if devices are connected through additional hardware.

All my current devices are hooked up through my router. The only thing that we are using special is the pihole and even then my computers are the only ones that connect to pihole. Do I need to specify the ipv6 range you mentioned above in my router?

That would ultimately depend on your router, but it is very unlikely, as IPv6 strongly favours auto-configuration by device, and your Pi-hole already has IPv6 addresses assigned.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.