Can i implement pi-hole for our school network?

I'm a computer teacher at a charter school. I want to use pi hole but I wonder if it's ok for a school which have almost 500 Chromebooks and 40 staff computers.

At testing times, there can be over 150 devices actively using internet.
As I know we use watchguard as a firewall

Thanks in advance !

Hi, I'm not a developer of Pi-hole but I'm convinced that your question is not a subject of Pi-hole itself but of the hardware. If it is powerfull enough it should be no problem to block ads for hundreds of computers. In this case I would not take a raspi :wink:

1 Like

I use it whit over 6k devices, run great on a VM

1 Like

We've already seen Pi-hole being deployed on University networks with thousands of users without any delays or issues given a sufficiently beefy machine (as mentioned by @Tisolino). A Raspberry Pi may be unsuitable in your application although it strongly depends on the configuration. When you run the Pi-hole without logging and with disabled database, an ordinary Raspberry Pi 3 should be able to handle hundreds of clients.

@Tntdruid, DL6ER , @Tisolino Thank you for comments.

actually we dont need to be logging anything. The thing I want is no ads school wide and website filter for kids which should be easy to add/remove custom websites, so pi hole would be a good solution.

considering these details, would you say yes it's enough for pi 3, or what would be big brother of it ?

Thanks in advance ..

I would recommend a self-constructed machine with the board "J5005-ITX" by ASRock. I has the Pentium Silver J5005, 4 SATA sockets, genuine GB-LAN (in contrast to raspi) and at max. 8 GB DDR4-RAM.
And it's really power-saving. My board takes only 7 Watt. That should be a good "big brother" of the raspi, I think...

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.