Bypassing / Excluding IP address from Pi-Hole not working

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Expected Behaviour:

After following the directions on this post:

I have created a file on /etc/dnsmasq.d called 04-bypass.conf, and reboot the server.

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ cat /etc/dnsmasq.d/04-bypass.conf
dhcp-option=tag:cloudflare1,6,1.1.1.1
dhcp-option=tag:cloudflare2,6,1.0.0.1

dhcp-host=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:AA,set:cloudflare1

However, that client (Windows 10) is still getting DNS server as the Pi-Hole (192.168.0.4)

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : lan
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:AA
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, September 26, 2019 10:33:10 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, October 2, 2019 11:37:55 PM
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.41(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.4
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.4
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Actual Behaviour:

Expect that the client with mac address XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:AA to use Cloudflare DNS servers

Debug Token:

I will provide once I clear the logs - the client is my corporate notebook, so there are calls to internal /company network servers.

Is the Pi-Hole the DHCP server? If not, none of these DHCP options will push to clients.

Yes, Pi-Hole is the DHCP server.
That MAC address also gets a fixed IP - I allocate all my gear to a fixed IP outside the DHCP range (192.168.0.100-250)

Flushed DNS cache on Windows machine and renewed lease? And double checked the MAC address?

Yes, and yes.

But I did some other tests:
1: Removed the static ip address assignment for my phone, and I added another entry on the file for my Android phone mac address to use Cloudflare... PASSED
2. Removed the static ip address assignment for the Windows 10 client on Pi-Hole, flushdns, release, renew.. PASSED
3. Tried to have both the static ip and the DNS address assignment configs at the same time.. FAILED

Now the question is how I get both to work at the same time? I'm fine with the workaround with dynamic IP and DNS set, but it would be great if I can get both to work.

Assuming you are issueing static leases via Pi-hole's web UI:
It seems that Pi-hole stores information on static leases in
/etc/dnsmasq.d/04-pihole-static-dhcp.conf
This configuration file employs the dhcp= option as well, and values defined there seem to take precedence over your own settings.

You can manipulate the entries in 04-pihole-static-dhcp.conf directly, which will give the result you desire, but I advise CAUTION.
You'll likely be stuck with editing static leases manually ever after, since the Pi-hole admin panel doesn't agree well with this:

I suspect that adding another static lease using Settings|DHCP panel could render some DHCP leases unusable, but haven't tried that.

I wouldn't recommend this as a general solution, but only if you feel comfortable with it and if you're familiar with dnsmasq, it's probably worth a try.

Keep in mind that this file is under Pi-hole's control, so can be affected at any time to Pi-holes liking, maybe so during updates.

As I am just a Pi-hole user, I'd recommend you should seek confirmation by a moderator that indeed there is no better way to reach your goal before you permanently employ this workaround.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.