Blocklist question

how many domains on blocklist should I have after adding the above lists?

Enough to block the ads you see.

Soooooooo... like 500k? 1mil?

Just wildcard block the entire internet and be done with it. Ultimate Blocklist Achievement!

1 Like

Am I In the wrong place to be asking for help or something?

Since it's not clear which lists you were referring to, here is a general answer.

For each blocklist URL in your adlist collection, Pi-hole will go to that URL and retrieve the domains. The output of the gravity rebuild will tell you how many domains are retrieved from each URL.

After all the blocklists are retrieved, then duplicates are removed and the final number is shown in bold near the bottom. That's how many domains from all those blocklists end up in gravity.

Key point here - if you aren't seeing ads, then adding more blocklists won't improve this. There is a tendency among users to grab all the lists they can in the pursuit of a big block count. In most cases, this just results in more things that break and have to be whitelisted.

The stock lists, plus perhaps a few local blacklist or regex entries for anything that slips by, are enough to stop all the ads that Pi-hole can stop. Most ads that are not served from the same domain as the content are served by a few dozen/hundred known ad serving domains, and these are on multiple blocklists.

Awesome. Thank you for the detailed answer. I was just confused because after upgrading to 5.0, the number went down to like 80k. So I went to add the Wally3k blocklist because people seem to like that and I just wanted to make sure I did it correctly.

The stock lists that ship with Pi-hole V5 (four lists) total about 85K domains as of now.

2,8 MIL

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.