Blacklist feature doesn't work

Right after i installed Pi-Hole onto my RPi3, i tested out some websites (youtube.com, cnn.com) and it was able to block ads. Somehow it just doesn't work anymore..

Expected Behaviour:

Pi-Hole did work after install.

Actual Behaviour:

Nothing works including testing the blacklist.

Debug Token:

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/mkt4i6eyxa!

how do your devices know to use the pi-hole? Static settings? DHCP?

also is IPv6 enabled on your network and if so is IPv6 blocking enabled ?

I would like to correct myself and say that the ad blocking finally work again. (disabled my ipv6)

But now i wanted to test out my blacklist and it doesn't work. I tested netflix.com and it did block before.. but after awhile, it doesn't anymore. I researched the page and it told me to clear my cache via browser and also "Restart DNS resolver"; but it still doesn't work.

keep in mind that www.netflix.com and netflix.com are two different domains and one will redirect to the other

Yes, I added both links and it still doesn't seem to work anymore. It did before..

I'm not clear on what is not working. Can you provide specifics? Your debug log shows that the Pi-Hole is working. What is the output of the following commands so we can examine the logs and block lists.

sudo grep netflix.com /var/log/pihole.log | tail -n 40

pihole -q -adlist -exact netflix.com

pihole -q -adlist -exact www.netflix.com

Sorry. Pi-Hole is working; tested some websites that had ads and it was able to block it. The blacklist feature isn't working or maybe i have the wrong expectation. Whenever i added both links of Netflix onto the blacklist, it did block it. But whenever i refreshed it, it went pass the blocking feature and i was able to get inside of Netflix. Is this suppose to happen?

That depends. If the path into Netflix was from one of those blocked domains, then that would be unexpected. If there is an alternate name in use that isn't blocked, then that would be normal.

Here are some good tools to help determine where ads are coming from (and how domains are loading).

Consider this issue resolved. Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.