Blacklist Bug - Web Admin Interface

Hello All!

This is my first post here. I love the project and want to pass along my sincere thanks and praise. That being said, I have noticed that there is a "bug" with the Admin Web interface. When adding blacklist sites/domains, everything appears correct and working. But, in fact does not. I have spent a few days chasing this. I have rebooted the server, rebooted the DNS, rebooted pihole, updated the OS (Ubuntu Server) and PiHole, updated the database pihole -g, etc. No Luck! When I ssh to the server and run the command pihole -b example.com I get the success messages and instantly it is working (blocking). The added domain then shows up on the Web Admin Interface. When attempting to connect to the domain the blocked domain results in ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED. It appears to me that the command is not running correctly when executing from the Web interface. It does seem to work correctly from the ssh terminal.

Thank You

***If this is in the incorrect forum, I apologize and admins feel free to move to the correct spot.

Please upload a debug log and post just the token generated by

pihole -d

allowing to upload when prompted, or do it through the Web interface:

Tools > Generate Debug Log

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/5g6bt0k2u2

The debug log you uploaded does not show this domain on the blacklist - perhaps you have deleted it.

Add example.com to the blacklist in the web GUI using the group management > domains section, not as a wildcard.

Please run the following commands from the Pi terminal and post the outputs.

pihole -q example.com

dig +short example.com @127.0.0.1

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

Interesting development.......

The output I showed and functionality was after I added it in the sidebar menu "Blacklist" option.

I deleted it in the same menu, then went to the Group Management -> Domains and added to the "Blacklist" from there. From there, it worked instantly. While the terminal commands you sent me show no difference, the remote machines can no longer visit "example". It appears there is a difference in what is occurring on the backend when adding to the blacklist via the side menu option directly VS the Group Management -> Domains option.

Sorry for the delay, apparently I was flagged as SPAM for using the example address too many times.

The output from the "flagged post" was:

The first command outputs:

Actually, this is the exact same page and it uses the exact same backend. The only difference is that one page allows you to edit black- and white (and groups) at once, and the other is simplified (only one list type at a time, no groups).

Strange then.....thought I had made some progress in figuring it out. :slight_smile:

Not sure, but the behavior seems repeatable when I add on the "Blacklist Page", no go. When I add on the Group Management -> Domains or Terminal with the pihole -b command it works.

Just repeated it with "google".

So the dig command output is the same but the distant browser behaves differently? This doesn't make much sense, except, there is some caching going on in the browser which manages to trick you (because the domain isn't actually queried always). I know Chrome is doing such things, some operating systems (most notably Linux) are having a cache as well.
We obviously can't do much is there is an independent cache on the client messing with things.

Could you try rebooting the machine you used for testing between your tests? This should ensure that any possible caches are flushed.

OK....so ran a test today. Exact Steps and Outcome:

1. Navigated to the Web Admin for my Pi-hole Installation/Server
  2. Logged In
  3. Clicked "Blacklist" From the Left Menu
  4. Entered site/domain to block and Blacklisted (Got Success Message)
  5. Opened Safari (Never Use) Tried to go to site
  6. The Browser Navigated to That Site
  7. Deleted the previously entered site from the Blacklist Page
  8. Selected Group Management -> Domains
  9. Added site back to Blacklist
  10. Navigated to site in Chrome (Page Can't Be Displayed - ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED)
  11. Deleted site from Blacklist (via Group Management)
  12. Navigated to site in Chrome - Connected to the Site

Sorry or using site verbiage, when I put in the actual site 1234.com, I get a message from the forum that new users can only post so many links in a reply. Had to workaround.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.