Black List Not Working

Hello,

I have been working on this for days and I can't seem to get the block list to work correctly. I have pi-hole installed within docker on my synology. However, when I create a group with the listed MAC address and then add the websites I would like to block, with the tag of the group. It doesn't work. My current set up is listed below.

1. Orbi Pro SXR30 mesh
  2. Synology DS920
  3. Pi-hole installed within docker

How I have my pi-hole configured.

1. SXR30 dns pointing to my pi-hole server.
  2. Created group with my kids with the proper MAC/IP address.
  3. Block list:
    (.|^)instagram$
    Regex blacklist
    Kids
    (.|^)youtube$
    Regex blacklist
    Kids
    (.|^)facebook$
    Regex blacklist
    Kids
    (.|^)twitter$
    Regex blacklist
    Kids
    (.|^)4chan$
    Regex blacklist
    Kids
    (.|^)tiktok$
    Regex blacklist
    Kids
    (.|^)roblox$
    Regex blacklist
    Kids
    (.|^)google$

I have a feeling I am missing something but I am not sure what it is. All PC's within my household all have DHCP address addressed to them automatically when they hit my network

Please upload a debug log and post just the token URL that is generated after the log is uploaded by running the following command from the Pi-hole host terminal:

pihole -d

or do it through the Web interface:

Tools > Generate Debug Log
(mark the checkbox to upload the log)

Hello,

Here is the token that was generated.

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/rYIfnOQo/

You appear to have renamed the default group to "Kids". As a result, you continue to have a single group with all domains, adlists and clients in that group.

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Groups
   id    enabled  name                                                date_added           date_modified        description                                       
   ----  -------  --------------------------------------------------  -------------------  -------------------  --------------------------------------------------
   0           1  Kids                                                2023-02-22 17:57:00  2023-02-22 18:25:02  Kids                                              

If you want selective blocking, restore the default group and make a new (additional) group and selectively apply blocking and clients to that new group.

Thank you for your response. I have fixed the issue wot reflect what you have mentioned above and then added myself to the group. However, the issue is still the same. I have checked all the boxes in order to reflect that particular group and even corrected the group assignment.

I have also flushed my DNS several times and still the same thing.

Just noticed your regex's are wrong. For example

(.|^)instagram$

That will only match a domain ending in the word instagram, which of course it won't do (it will end with com or something like that). That's possibly why nothing is being blocked. Assuming you were trying to catch any domains with the words included anywhere in them, instead use these:

.*instagram.*
.*youtube.*
.*facebook.*
.*twitter.*
.*4chan.*
.*tiktok.*
.*roblox.*
.*google.*

Hello,

With the list that you have provided, pi-hole wont let me use that format. It tells me that there are invalid characters and needs to be corrected.

Seems that I didn't hit the Regex filter option before adding the above. Me mistake.* testing now

Thank you everyone. Seems it's working now.

1 Like

In fact the same effect can be got here without the .* as long as they are definitely entered in Pi-hole as a RegEx filter Blacklist and not a Domain Blacklist. So

.*roblox.*

could be entered as just

roblox

and the same for the others. They will each match, and therefore block, any domain that has that word anywhere in it.