Bad Gateway 502 for only one URL

I've been successfully using pi-hole on a Pi 3 Model B Rev1.2, running the latest version of pi-hole. When attempting to access a specific URL on various Windows and/or Android devices I get a "502 Bad Gateway", "openresty" page. I have had someone in a town 2 hours away test to see if the URL had a problem but they were able to access the website without error as was I using just my cell provider on my phone. I have checked the network stack in the windows and android devices - no misconfigurations - all are using pi-hole as their primary DNS but using my Motorola router as the gateway. I am not familiar with what "openresty" is even though I attempted to understand it by glancing at their website - of which availed on easy explanation either. I did reset my DHCP address to my ISP (Metronet) and it successfully obtained a new lease. I reset the network stacks once again on my devices - no joy. I may just have my proverbial shorts on my head here, but could use someone's kind hand to help me see what may be wrong? Thanks ahead of toime

Pi-hole doesn't have any involvement in the connection. All it does is prevent unwanted domains from being resolved to their correct IP addresses, rendering them unreachable to devices on your network. All other domains are resolved as normal.

The fact that you are able to connect to that URL to experience the error means that Pi-hole did not block the domain. Perhaps the site tries to load other domains and one or more of those is blocked, and that causes the site to give this error – check this by looking at the Query Log for any blocked domains that were attempted and blocked just after the URL domain was loaded.

Another approach is to see how the site behaves after disabling Pi-hole blocking completely by selecting Disable Blocking > Indefinitely and trying it again. When you've finished experiementing use Enable Blocking to resume normal operation.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.