AT&T NVG599 cannot change DNS to point pi-hole server

The issue I am facing:
AT&T NVG599 cannot change DNS to point pi-hole server

Details about my system:
I have installed the properly pi-hole server on Synology Using Docker With A MacVLAN And Bridge.
Network.

I can see only localhost as a client and my network device not showing as clients. After little research I found I need to change DNS to the router to point to pi-hole ip address. But I have ATT ARRIS NVG599 which I cannot change DNS. Please let me what is the other way I can bring clients to Pi-hole server.

I spoke to tech support he said all ATT modems don't allow DNS change. What have options?

I am not familiar with the AT&T router at all but your options would be:

1. Buying a secondary router and putting AT&T into bridge mode and connect it in. Plenty of guides, just google it

2. Entirely unfamiliar with this but finding a router compatible with AT&T connection just just disconnecting the old one, replacing it and entering all the proper ISP config details

1 Like

Please follow these steps in order to disable the DHCP server:

1. Launch an Internet browser from a computer or wireless device that is connected to the network.
  2. Type gateway's IP address and press Enter. The default IP address is 192.168.1.254. If you are asked to login, the device access code is on the side label.
  3. Go to Local Network > Subnets & DHCP .
  4. Set DHCP Server Enable to Off .
  5. Click Save so that the change takes effect.

Or if it doesn't have disable, the set the start and end IP addresses for the DHCP range to the IP for your pi-hole. Then enable pihole DHCP.

No guarantees!

1 Like

I can do DHCP Server Enable to Off . on the router. After that Do I need to do anything all network clients traffic to pi-hole?

Enable pihole's DHCP server. It should set the DNS server to pihole's address. You can check by running ipconfig /all (on a Windows CMD prompt) and checking the DHCP and DNS info.

Especially if you set the DHCP range to cover your pihole static IP, you could set the pihole IP as a static address in pihole DHCP. Not sure if truly needed but seems to make sense.

Here's the overview:

I have added 192.168.1.254 gateway address which is Router IP address. Pi-hole address is 192.168.1.11 and its gateway address also 192.168.1.254

And in DNS tab I selected google Upstream DNS Servers or do I need to change custom to gateway address?

2022-02-17_22-41-29

Feels right to me, but only one way to find out!

I've only used custom when setting up the unbound alternative, which you could try after you've got a baseline:

https://docs.pi-hole.net/guides/dns/unbound/

Now it is interesting. I see pi-hole working for LAN-connected devices. But wifi devices are still an issue. Wifi devices like mobiles wifi-connected laptops not showing in client.

I'm going to bow out now, good luck. I would look at the laptop's ipconfig to try to troubleshoot.

got it after reboot router all devices synced to pihole. Thank you verymuch

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.