Apple Watch Problems

Weather, App Store and apple news will not load on my apple watch unless I turn off Wi-Fi on my iPhone

so I believe my pihole server is blocking a domain it needs, would anyone know what it is, I have tried looking in Query log and could not find anything blocked from my iPhone or Watch

The latter indicates the former is likely not the case.

Please upload a debug log and post just the token URL that is generated after the log is uploaded by running the following command from the Pi-hole host terminal:

pihole -d

or do it through the Web interface:

Tools > Generate Debug Log

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/hnw7Oxdt/
if I switch to mobile data everything works

Your debug log is normal.

Which management group is the Apple Watch assigned to?

the apple watch rarly queries directly though pihole itself, but though my iPhone over bluetooth then to Wi-Fi there both on the default group, I could try them on the allow all group to see if its the same

still having the issue on allow all group

after restarting my watch and iPhone it works
so I think something is being blocked, but during the timeframe I am on weather or app store there are no blocked queries from either devices

I don't think your "allow all" group works as you expect. Your regex whitelist entry for that group is:

If you test this with our built-in regex tester, you will find no matches:

pihole-FTL regex-test doubleclick.net *             
[i] Compiling regex filter...
    Compiled regex filter in 0.264 msec

Checking domain...
    NO MATCH!
   Time: 0.084 msec

You will see the same if you test this regex at regex101.com.

You have other regex entries that are similar.

that group works perfectly, and I no longer have the issue when using it, but I do still need my iPhone in the default group for blocking, but can not find the domains that its blocking

Use these tools to help in your search:

I don't seem to have the issue after restarting the devices, but maybe they cached with I was using allow all

then after restarting my phone again, I can't access weather or app store

Dec 30 18:46:19: query[HTTPS] p43-quota.icloud.com from 10.42.0.5
Dec 30 18:46:19: cached p43-quota.icloud.com is <CNAME>
Dec 30 18:46:19: forwarded p43-quota.icloud.com to 1.1.1.1
Dec 30 18:46:19: query[A] p43-quota.icloud.com from 10.42.0.5
Dec 30 18:46:19: forwarded p43-quota.icloud.com to 1.1.1.1
Dec 30 18:46:19: reply p43-quota.icloud.com is <CNAME>
Dec 30 18:46:19: reply quota.fe.apple-dns.net is NODATA
Dec 30 18:46:19: reply p43-quota.icloud.com is <CNAME>
Dec 30 18:46:19: reply quota.fe.apple-dns.net is 17.250.81.67
Dec 30 18:46:19: query[HTTPS] quota.fe.apple-dns.net from 10.42.0.5
Dec 30 18:46:19: forwarded quota.fe.apple-dns.net to 1.1.1.1
Dec 30 18:46:19: reply quota.fe.apple-dns.net is NODATA

but now I can again

It is very likely the Phone was connected to 5GHz but the watch can only use 2.4GHz.

When you rebooted the phone it did a handshake with the watch and figured out to use 2.4GHz.

When on WiFi the devices will use WiFi before they use Bluetooth, because you are likely to walk away and out of Bluetooth range in your home.

So, log off the 5GHz on the phone and associate with the 2.4GHz network.

My 2.4GHz and 5GHz have different SSID’s

The watch connects to my phone over Bluetooth

I think they use Bluetooth first to save power

If I turn Bluetooth off on my phone then it connects to WiFi

The issue must have been some form of DNS cache

They are, both, going to connect to WiFi; so there is no power savings using bluetooth also.

Bluetooth on

Bluetooth off

Sorry the image is upside down

Your watch switches between these intelligently to choose the most power-efficient connection. Here’s how:

• Your Apple Watch uses Bluetooth when your iPhone is near, which conserves power.
  • If Bluetooth isn’t available, your Apple Watch will try to use Wi-Fi. For example, if compatible Wi-Fi is available and your iPhone isn't in Bluetooth range, your Apple Watch uses Wi-Fi.
  • If Bluetooth and Wi-Fi aren't available, and you set up a cellular plan, cellular models of Apple Watch can connect to mobile networks.

Think that should say less power

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.