Android phones home to mtalk.google.com

Hello,

my Android Phone (BQ Aquaris C) makes connections to mtalk.google.com about every 30 minutes. When I block the domain it tries to connect to several alternative mtalk servers. I use the phone without a Google account and I deactivated all Google apps in the settings menu.

Can anybody tell me more about this domain and why these connections are made?

Greetings

1 Like

It's a (obviously :slight_smile: ) google domain. To be more exact, it's a domain that's used by google talk and other apps that use the same platform.

It "calls" home every 30 minutes, for status updates and basically a refresher.

I don't use any Google messenger product and I disabled all Google apps on my phone. Still it really wants to connect to this mtalk server. After I blacklisted the domain it tried to connect to 8 different alternative servers (which I also blocked by now). I even used mitmproxy to look at the transmitted data but precisely these connections don't show up. I guess Android doesn't respect my proxy settings for this domain and I really wonder why.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Posts moved from "Android Phones home to mtalk.google.com"

domain is used for android notifications, ref here.

I use this regex to whitelist the domains (I want notifications), but you can also use it to blacklist the domain, however the queries will not stop (all blocked).

^((alt)[0-9](-))?mtalk\.google\.com$