Amazon Freevee ADs UK Roku Express

Does anyone have pointers for what hostnames to block to prevent ADs on Freevee? I have a Roku Express which is working fine for the other channels that I use. I will look at the logs in some detail later but wondered if this has already been fixed?

Thanks

Update: I spent quite some time following the log files with a stream running and blacklisted a few domain names when the ADs appeared but only succeeded in breaking the FreeVee stream. I've removed the blacklisted names as none of them seemed to have an effect on the ADs so I'm now at a total loss!

Am I the only one that has this problem?

I may be speaking out of turn here, but my assumption as a user (not a developer) is that Freevee uses a similar strategy as Youtube, in that there are no hostnames you can outright block that won't also negatively impact the streaming service itself. The hostnames used to successfully connect to the service are also used to serve advertisements.

1 Like

Thanks for the info, I think you may be correct. While watching the log file and the stream, there was no obvious DNS request when the ads appeared. Oh well, looks like I'll either have to suffer the ads or not watch FreeVee.
I'm surprised that the other streaming channels with ads don't work this way, perhaps the sign of things to come?

Hey while you're at it, are you blocking roku logs? Roku does not disclose the contents of these logs in plain language, I'm sure it's hidden away in the 10+ foot scroll of the "privacy" policy. There are at least two log domains:

scribe

cooper

depending on the release date of your device. Figured I'd mention it because Roku makes 200+ mil every year from just showing a picture on your screen, and you nor I have been clearly informed of how your information is being used.

Roku will not talk about it openly on the forums, so I say block the logs.

Yep, that was one of the first things I did.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.