Alpine Linux Based Unbound Hyperlocal & DNSSEC Validating DNS Server Docker Image

Hello there,

first off: thanks for Pi-Hole, I love it so much!

I have created an Unbound DNS Resolver Docker image, may there's some interest and I hope I've posted this in the correct section.

The image is based on a customized Alpine Linux base with focus on security,
performance and a small image size (abount 40MB uncompressed). The Unbound process runs in the context of a non-root user, was further sealed with chroot and uses unprivileged ports (5335 tcp/udp). It is also prepared for DoT and DoH.

Unbound was self compiled and is configured as a DNSSEC-validating DNS resolver, querying the DNS root servers directly and using zone transfers to provide a "hyperlocal" setup as an upstream DNS server with Pi-Hole in mind for adblocking.

However, my image can also be used as a standalone DNS server.

There's also a docker-compose.yaml file combined with pi-hole using a MCVLAN network.

Anyway the /etc/unbound/unbound.conf and may the docker-compose.yaml files must be edited to reflect your network environment. In the next release the configs will be better structured while separated and being contained in an own config folder besides some optimizations.

Here is the link to my Github repository and here is the direct link to the Docker image.

I need to compile this for ARM too, which is currently an open issue on Github. This is my first release of a docker image, so please be gentle... :slight_smile:

The image is open source and subject to the MIT license.

If you have any questions or encounter problems, I'm glad to help.

Wishing a Merry Christmas and all the best, madnuttah

Hi,

I have updated the image, the changes are as follows:

• Added self compiled OpenSSL3 3.0.1 and libevent 2.1.12
  • Internic root.zone, root.hints and root.key files will be downloaded in the build process
  • All downloaded files get verified with PGP and their corresponding checksum files
  • Optimizations

The file size has been reduced significantly and shrunk to 29MB uncompressed.

I hope you enjoy the image.

Wishing the best, madnuttah.

1 Like

Hello,

the image is now "multiarch" and available for arm/arm64/amd64 platforms as requested.

Have fun with it! :blush:

Cheers, madnuttah