After working for a while, pihole is not blocking ads anymore

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Expected Behaviour:

pihole should block ads

Actual Behaviour:

after a week of good work, in an startimg seeing as everwhere (even is site where before it was blocking them)

Debug Token:

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/n4rq8i5hb6

Please post the output of the following commands from the Pi terminal:

nslookup pi.hole

nslookup pi.hole 192.168.1.77

echo ">stats" | nc localhost 4711

And from the command terminal or command prompt on a connected client:

nslookup pi.hole

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ nslookup pi.hole
Server:         127.0.0.1
Address:        127.0.0.1#53

Name:   pi.hole
Address: 192.168.1.77
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ echo ">stats" | nc localhost 4711
domains_being_blocked 116540
dns_queries_today 2241
ads_blocked_today 531
ads_percentage_today 23.694778
unique_domains 250
queries_forwarded 812
queries_cached 898
clients_ever_seen 10
unique_clients 6
dns_queries_all_types 2241
reply_NODATA 163
reply_NXDOMAIN 107
reply_CNAME 351
reply_IP 551
privacy_level 0
status enabled
---EOM---

did I answer you correctly? Thanks for replying to my post

Yes, but only for 2 of the 4 statements @jfb has posted.
So far, you are missing the output of the following command from the Pi terminal:
nslookup pi.hole 192.168.1.77
And another lookup on a terminal or command prompt from a connected client:
nslookup pi.hole

Based on the info you already posted, you can see that Pi-hole did successfully block 531 of 2,241 or roughly 24% of your DNS queries as undesirable. So from a technical perspective, Pi-hole seems to be working OK.

There could be several reasons why you have the impression you are seeing more ads. e.g. you still could have some stray clients that do not use Pi-hole as DNS server (which the above command from a connected client would reveal), or you are more frequently browsing sites that show ads whose domain is not on any of your blocklists (either because it never was or the site's ad provider changed or a blocklist doesn't include the site any more), or your browser is somehow configured to bypass Pi-hole, etc. etc.

Are you experiencing ads on all clients or specific clients only?
In the latter case, verify that your client indeed uses Pi-hole.

If you are seeing ads on all of your clients, verify as above and then try to find out what domain an ad comes from and whether it's included in your blocklists:

Thank you @Bucking_Horn. So by far, I keep seeing ads on my smartphone and I always see ads on youtube from any device (those ads are always 2 mins long and I can't skip them). I know that there is nothing much to be done with the ones on youtube. I will keep you updated.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.