After update to 4.1 my logges are flooded with PTR requests

Hello,
my Problem is, im flooded withe PTR querries.
(1138 from 252.0.0.224.in-addr.arpa for example)
This happend directly after i upgraded to 4.1, so maybe its related?

My Dns is 194.150.168.169 - my pie is behind a router and don't uses the DHCP function.
Any clue whats causes this PTR flood?

best regards chopped

FTL was restarted, so you are probably seeing it re-resolve the hostnames of the clients and upstreams.

I am having the exact same issue. This is my top hit now https://i.imgur.com/4MEpO6M.png. this is a little crazy. Any thoughts

I'm also having the same flooding issue. more than 130,000 PTR queries in the last 24 hours.
it's a bit over the top. BTW this also started immediately after updating to 4.1

I had the same runaway PTR requests too. I'm guessing it had something to do with me using a VPN service (which should use their own dns resolver) on one of my servers. I was using a DNS setting in PiHole that used ECS (Cloudflare) and I switched to a different one using DNSSEC. I also did a "pihole -r" in case the update didn't install correctly for me.

Anecdotally there were many changes, so I have no idea what action actually corrected my problem, but I'm back to normal reports when using PiHole 4.1.

It is likely this was happening prior to 4.1, and you didn’t see it because 4.0 didn’t display this query type in the query log. Displaying additional query types is new to 4.1.

3 Likes

Any chance to blend out the PTR request from logging?

You can configure it to only analyze IPv4 and IPv6 requests: Configuration - Pi-hole documentation

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.