After rebooting Ubuntu 18.04 Pi-hole doesn’t work until I run the command “pihole restartdns”

Great detective work.
I was to type up something similar to warn @DL6ER about the bind-interfaces directive in that lxd file.
If pihole-FTL tries to bind to the IP's assigned to the interfaces, it might run into troubles if an interface comes up late.
With pihole-FTL listening on all IP's 0.0.0.0, interfaces (with IP) can come and go without issues.
EDIT: I didnt think about this at the time :wink:

Instead of bind-interfaces, bind-dynamic would work better.

Enable a network mode which is a hybrid between --bind-interfaces and the default. Dnsmasq binds the address of individual interfaces, allowing multiple dnsmasq instances, but if new interfaces or addresses appear, it automatically listens on those (subject to any access-control configuration). This makes dynamically created interfaces work in the same way as the default. Implementing this option requires non-standard networking APIs and it is only available under Linux. On other platforms it falls-back to --bind-interfaces mode.

http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/docs/dnsmasq-man.html

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.