After a restart of the DNS resolver all status messages are appended with "(other)" in the Query Log

Hello,

I noticed today after updating to the latest beta version that all queries that happened before the update show the string (other) appended to all status massages in the Query Log. This phenomenon is independent of the update process, though, and happens every time the DNS resolver is restarted in general.

The reply column is showing N/A for all queries because that information is not stored in the database and therefore cannot be retrieved. That is normal. However, I didn't find any info about what is supposed to be displayed between these parentheses.

Here is what is usually displayed during normal operation for reference (there is no additional additional information in parentheses at all):

What does (other) mean in this case and what info is supposed to be displayed in these parentheses normally?

Pi-hole version is release/v5.4 v5.3.1-82-gb729a442 (Latest: v5.3.1)
AdminLTE version is release/v5.6 v5.5.1-55-g7ca9546 (Latest: v5.5.1)
FTL version is release/v5.9 vDev-d3f8aae (Latest: v5.8.1)

[✓] Your debug token is: https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/T1G6diPF/

1 Like

Your finding would suggest that parsing long term database info is somewhat off in the beta.

OTHER usually means any query type that is not supported/shown by Pi-hole explicity.

The query types are still correctly displayed in the corresponding column. For the last one or two minor versions it also displays the type ID instead of the catch-all term OTHER.

In this case I looked for a DNAME record (type ID 39 according to wikipedia) for testing:

Before restarting the DNS resolver:

After restarting the DNS resolver:

There is no DNAME record for google.com, so naturally there was no reply. Still, the Status column has this string (other) appended to it after the restart. I thought it might have something to do with DNSSEC, but this was with DNSSEC disabled, so no. It happens with DNSSEC enabled or disabled either way.

Thanks for your report. This should be fixed when you update FTL to the most recent beta version. The issue was caused by forgetting to set the extended DNS error (EDE) status to UNSET (internal value -1) when importing from the database. Instead, the value was left at 0 which corresponds to the EDE text "other".

1 Like

I updated but it's still appending (other) to the status of each query.

Pi-hole version is release/v5.4 v5.3.1-92-gee749f70 (Latest: v5.3.1)
AdminLTE version is release/v5.6 v5.5.1-57-geb4b88d (Latest: v5.5.1)
FTL version is release/v5.9 vDev-ce75d4a (Latest: v5.8.1)

Should the fix have been in one of the last 3 commits? I was on d3f8aae on the initial report.

Sorry, I've just hit git push but didn't check it succeeded (you guess it: it didn't). The commit is now pushed.

Looks good :+1: