Advice for setting up Pi-Hole with PiVPN

I have PiVPN setup and working. I want to add Pi-Hole to my network using the same RPi as the VPN. I am reading through this How-To (Pi hole OpenVPN server · pi-hole/pi-hole Wiki · GitHub) and have a few questions.

On the setup OpenVPN page, it takes about DDNS. I currently have DDNS working fine for other things as well as PiVPN. Do I need to worry about this command (sudo nano /etc/openvpn/client-common.txt)? I don't have the client-common.txt file on my PiVPN server.

Also, please help me understand this command: pi@raspberrypi:~# pihole -a hostrecord home.mydomain.de 192.168.1.10. Is this telling Pi-Hole that my FQDN (VPN.xxxxxxxx.com) points to the Pi-Hle server? Just want to understand what this command is doing.

I am using an EdgeRouter for my home network. I've got firewall rules there for access to the 'net. Do I need to do the steps on the Firewall Configuration page? This page seems to indicate that this is for restricting access to ports 53 and 80 from outside. My router is already doing that.

Lastly, what is the command to update Pi-Hole? I think pihole -r is for rerunning the configuration interface, correct?

Thank you! Looking forward to getting this running.

I don't have much experience with the VPN side of things, but I can answer the other questions. The hostrecord command lets you access that IP from that hostname. Your router should act as a firewall for your entire network. To update Pi-hole, run pihole -up.

Thanks Mcat! Appreciate the information.

Will it need sudo pihole -up or is it OK without sudo?

I've not updated yet.

Geffers

pihole commands will automatically elevate themselves to root when needed.

Thank you for very prompt reply.

Geffers