Ads display as "Webpage not available"

Hello. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

A couple of weeks ago I set up my Pi-hole. Everything seemed to work good initially. The ads displayed as blank white space on all my connected devices. But for the last week or so, I'v been noticing that all (most of) the ads are now displaying a screen with "Webpage not available" at the top and a web address where the ad should be. I've included a screen shot from my phone.

My debug token is https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/hcusetjhle

I'm not sure if this is an expected behavior, but I set this up at the same time as 2 other co-workers and after talking to both of them, they said their Pi-hole's still display the blank with space instead of ads. Just want to make sure I'm not missing something or need an update, etc. Thanks again.

This appears to be a function of the browser you are using - it is showing this when it could not load the element that appears in the reserved block of space.

I don't believe this is a problem with your Pi-Hole. Your debug log shows no problems.

Ok, thanks for looking at it jfb.

I just thought it was odd that (from what I remember) the space was all white initially and then now it's getting the "Webpage not availabe" message. And the fact that a couple other people I know didn't have that issue.

I also saw this post from a few weeks ago: https://discourse.pi-hole.net/t/pi-hole-not-blocking-ads/16700/51 and thought it might be related to that fact that I do have "1.1.1.1" in as my secondary DNS on my router. But I guess if it was using the secondary DNS then the ad would actually show up.

I'll keep an eye on it. But if things look good w/ the debug, then I'm probably good.

Thanks again!!!

Why? By doing this, you create a bypass around Pi-Hole, which defeats the purpose of having a Pi-Hole. There is no real concept of "secondary" DNS on a router, it's just another DNS and clients will use them both if they can.

Ok, that makes sense.

My thought was that if there ever was an issue with the Pi-hole (primary DNS) then it would fall back on the secondary DNS to keep internet access until I could fix. But that makes sense. I'll update things this evening.

Just to clarify. I should have the 192.168.1.190 IP as the primary and then leave the secondary blank??

Thanks.

Yes. If the router insists on a second DNS entry, put the Pi-Hole IP in that spot as well.

After you do this reboot the router and renew the lease on all the connected clients.

Ok, I'll make the change on the router, reboot the router and then reboot my PC's, laptops, phones, etc.

Thanks again!!!

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.