Adding clients by ip but with hostname to client's list instead of using mac address

The issue I am facing:
Hi, I want to run two pi-holes on two different subnets. These subnets will be connected using a site2site VPN. This means, that we're goint over a gateway so identifying a client by it's mac-address isn't possible.

Unfortunally pihole adds clients by their mac-address by default instead of using the ip-address.
I understand it because ip addresses can change but in my case it results in:

So the pihole on site2 will only see the vpn-gateway's mac-adress, which doesn't match with this client. Rules behind the groups the client is assigned to will be not considered.
Of course I can add an IP-Adress of this client but manualy but I want to have the nice little hostname behind it (see screenshot) as the comment-field is used only for the interface name in my system.

Is there an option to add a client by ip-adress WITH hostname description behind when it's (at the moment) in the same network as pihole (so if pihole has the mac-address)?

Details about my system:

pihole  <---> site1 <---- VPN ----> site2 <---> pihole
          |                                 |
clients <-┘                                 └-> clients

What I have changed since installing Pi-hole:
Setting up ULA and custom conditional forwarding

Solved it: simply entering the ip address will add the hostname automatically. It worked fo whatever reason after clearing the cache in my browser.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.