Add Uptime to the Status area of the web interface

Let no one say we don't listen to our users :wink:

However, this is very much on the edge of feature creep, so I'm also happy when the PR gets closed without merging this functionality if we conclude that it is too out-of-scope for our project. Nevertheless, the now available code may give us a better basis for further discussions.

Thank you. If you guys really feel this is out of scope (although we already have the temperature, the load and the memory usage), I'll keep changing the .php and .css manually when needed! Really a great addition!

Thank you for the discussion.

Memory usage and load are included as they are good metrics for people running on things like the Pi Zero. We are really light on resources but having those two are indicators of a runaway process or getting hammered by a misconfigured install. The temperature really isn't that useful and the argument can be made that it shouldn't be there. The uptime doesn't really fit in providing the users in general information that is going to help with the DNS features. We are working on some things to let users modify the web portion of the package to customize their individual installs but that is a work in progress. We'll keep people updated when we open up the repository for public view.

Good point - I actually always felt we should remove this one :wink:

1 Like

How about compile-time options for features? It works for the kernel, etc. Autoconf, etc. supports "--with-my-favorite-feature" flags. Supporting a "large" and a "small" distribution would make it easy for people with no time to configure every option.

The code is all bash shell for the installer, we welcome community Pull Requests with new features if you would like to write up the framework for customized installations. Just clone https://github.com/pi-hole/pi-hole.git and we can help you out if you have questions getting started.

1 Like

I have a backlog of other work but I'll take a look at this in time. Thanks.

I have to work on this as #1 because it locks up my computer while I'm doing other work.

I'd like to add a vote for including the uptime.

• It lets me know how long my Pi's been up. Sometimes it's just nice to know that it's been running great for month, unlike some other OS that needs to be rebooted every few weeks.
  • I can more easily decide if I should reboot my pi. I know Linux can run for month without issues, but perhaps I want to reboot it if it's been running for too long, to avoid potential issues.. We all know sometimes rebooting can clear otherwise hard to debug anomalies.

I know I can simply log in, and get the info I need, but having it right there in the dashboard makes it much more conveniently, and fit the target audience of pihole, which are not your average users but tinkers, and us tinkers wants to know the uptime! Just like temperature and load!

So please consider adding this!

I know I can simply log in, and get the info I need

You're talking about Settings --> System --> Time FTL started ?

• It only tells the day and not time if it's more than a day ago (e.g. errors triggered by cronjobs in the night?)
  • Doesn't show uptime as a timespan (I'm bad at calculating with dates)

Personally I don't need it in the dashboard, but a detailed statistics tab is always a pleasure to me.